HELP my 1st Pig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Like Bay said, with enough space they don't smell so bad. My gilt now, she goes in one spot at the far end of the fence and I never smell it. Of course it's October in NH which helps too!

We move our pigs to fresh ground frequently in nice weather. They love eating grass and roots, and we use them to clear brush!

Smuvers Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup! That is my Hawg Hut thread! I love that we put skids on it, we just dragged it out of the back yard where we kept weaned lambs, to the pigs we just got.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup! That is my Hawg Hut thread! I love that we put skids on it, we just dragged it out of the back yard where we kept weaned lambs, to the pigs we just got.

Really like the design big roof overhangs are very effective keeping the weather off the framing members and provide good shade for the animals. Skid-able out buildings are the way to go - good call. If the chiggers/turkey mites go into hibernation, I'll get some pictures of the 12' high foldable and skid-able hunting blind I built for a neighbor. You can drag it behind a 4 wheeler and also stand it up with block and tackle and a 4 wheeler. Works really well for hunting, since your way above the unmowed prarie grass.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well it happened I knew it was just a matter of time... I'm sitting on the porch and all of a sudden Mr. Chopper started cutting up a fuss, squealing about like when I picked him up for the first time, the chicken alarm went off and the turkey tom was gobbling. Then I heard a a scream that made my hair stand up on my arms. I went for my rifle and stormed out the door. Just as the rounded the corner I saw a cougar bolt off into the darkness behind the house.

I went to go check on Mr. Chopper and the chickens. Like usual Mr Chopper met me at the door wagging his tail. But my electric fence didn't fair so well. I had to patch the second highest run of wire. Seems I can add a mountain lion to the long list of animals i've taught a lesson about electricity.

I still haven't seen my outdoor guard dog. I searched around for him and called him but he hasn't came back yet. He always comes when I call him :( I'm pretty bummed out about my dog... I love that dog, I hope he's alright. I'll have to wait until morning light to go searching for him. I sure hope he's ok :(

My wife's inside Rottweiler is on edge... He's been growling at the windows facing the Shawnee National Forest right out back of our house. I keep going out back with my rifle and flash light but I don't see anything in the trees or ground. But somethings out there, he wouldn't be growling for nothing. I kind of feel like I'm under attack from a unseen enemy. It's going to be a sleepless night standing guard over the turkey's, chicken's & Mr Chopper.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Phew he's back YES!!! I heard him barking off in the distance out back in the Shawnee and I hollered real loud for him. After a few mins he came running back with a bloody front dear leg in his mouth. I think there are at least two cats out back because I heard two scream at the same time off in the distance in the Shawnee. Pretty spooky actually... but now that my guard dog is back up by the house, he'll let me know if something comes back around. I'm happy again :) but my rifle is right next to me just in case.

IMG_20171018_234131855.jpg