HELP my 1st Pig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to stand in that thing's way when it gets out :hide And they can get so, well, pig-headed when they have a mind to as well! I kept my pigs small and manageable all the way. The big boar I mentioned above was bought it for butchering and only stayed as long as I needed to get him in shape to my satisfaction. He was very thin when I got him.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He was just lucky he moved well for grain. He moved fast when Frankie acted grumpy though, I've seen him dive out of the pen before lol! But Frankie is a friendly giant, only gets ornery when it's, well time to act like a boar....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is so complicated... I worm my chickens by dumping a bunch of habenero flakes over top of their feed. Easy smeazy... I'll have my DW help me weigh Miss Pork Chop tomorrow and get the dosing right then give her the first round.

On a side note my daughter in law informed me today that Pork Chop enjoys having "her cute nose" scratched. She said when she pulled up Pork Chop ran up to the fence and grunted at her and stuck her nose out of the fence to get scratched. I just shook my head when she told me this then I walked away wondering just how she figured this out - without first scratching her nose? Hum.?.?.?....

She's my favorite daughter in law, I even call her Fav. So if she wants to scratch a pigs nose that's been rooting around in God only knows what - she can have at it I guess...

She was in the living room tonight trying to get something away from my youngest granddaughter who is a hot mess. My granddaughter wouldn't give it up. So I grabbed my chicken magazine and showed my granddaughter, she dropped the thing her mom was trying to get from her and took the magazine from.my hand and stopped crying and started smiling looking at the magazine. My daughter in law said dad your so good with kids. I said the ole switch-a-roo has never failed me yet :) <--- what this has to with anything IDK but I just put some more ammonia on my chiggers bites so maybe I'm a bit punchy...

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I like your DIL! And your GDD :) Great distraction, chicken magazines. Tell your DIL and make a note of this yourself, if you want to, pigs adore having their sides scratched. There is a spot I'd easier show you than direct you to, down their sides, where the ribs end… Scratch that for a minute and most pigs would keel over in bliss.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs love belly rubs!

The old switcharoo might come in handy if you ever decide to eat Miss Pork Chop.... Although it's not sounding likely these days...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
future bacon.jpg