Help, PLEEEEZE!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thewife :welcome

Now all this talk about combing your hair and cleaning smudges off your face has to stop right now. If it is really a major problem where you live maybe you should consider moving to Mississippi.

Overalls with rips and tears, uncombed hair and dirty faces are all accepted and understood. Even tube tops and spandex with dirt and stains are accepted. Heck not only accepted but expected this time of year. Even if you have not been working in the garden or yard, cleaning house, or any of the other million things that require getting nasty dirty, everyone just assumes that you have been doing those things. Actually, when I don't feel like getting dressed to go out, I just put on my rubber boots, go outside to the water hose, run some water, stomp around a bit, smudge a little dirt on my face and run off to town. Everyone thinks I was right in the middle of some nasty work and needed something desperately quick. :lol:

Now rub some more dirt on your face and go get that gauge checked.

P.S. - If you are gonna dig a hole and bury that stuff how bout shipping it to me and saving yourself the trouble.:D

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Hello Thewife. I always add grape leaves to my pickles, and so far they have always come out crispy. I just use whatever grape leaves I can find, wash them off, and put them in the bottom of the jar. Make sure you cut the ends off the cucumbers, as the blossom end contains an enzyme that will make your pickles mushy.

I am origionally from WA and I miss it terribly sometimes. I just talked to my MIL last night and she told me the whole 'corn should be knee high by the 4th of July' but that it isn't there because of a drought. A whole month in WA without rain!!!!

Good luck with your canning ventures. Try pickles first, they are quick, easy, and you don't have to mess with a pressure canner. Who wants to slave over hot stew in the summer?!?

I do know how it is about hair not being presentable, my hair is usually plastered to my head or sticking up all over from sweat, so I have to drag myself inside and shower and dig out some non poopy, non muddy, non grass-stained clothes before I can go anywhere. :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Come on Freemotion, I have to at least comb my hair, I'm old, it's the only good asset I have left! If I cover it with a hat, people might notice my clothes are falling apart! (mainly because I don't want to comb my hair to go clothes shopping!)
Sounds like you like clothes shopping about as much as I do. I rather get stung by 10 bees, at least that fixes my arthritis pain for a few months.
If I am going to the hardware store, I don't mind, if I'm a little grubby, I figure people I run into there that I know, would know what it is like to be in the middle of a project and need something. I don't care what people I don't know think. But it can be embarrassing, when you go for a job interview and the interviewer remembers you when....oops. There goes that job. Too many people care about the superficial stuff like what someone wears. And unfortunately I might have to work for them. :p
Thewife, jam is also easy to make, except you have to watch that it doesn't boil over. So don't even think about looking away. And it is a wonderfull treat. Summer in a jar.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just throw my hair back into a ponytail, check to make sure I'm not to dirty :) and head in when it's a run to the local farm supply store. If I'm going in for the grocery shopping then I shower and find clean clothes. I've seen guys in the farm supply store that were wearing their PVC barn boots and had them cake in sh*t. Their hands too. I figure that if they don't have to at least hose off their boots and wash their hands then I'm good. :D

I really like the Blue Book for canning. I have also used the Surejell recipes but, I no longer use Surejell. I go to the Mennonite store and buy the pectin that they have. It works a lot better.

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes!
I am getting to like this place, you guys might get stuck with me!
I did save the corn today(I think). Hubby had brought home a bunch of chain link with the plastic pieces weaved into it. I cut them into thirds and weaved them into wire between the garden and the gooses pen! The geese were not happy, but they are geese, they are always mad at something anyway!

TanksHill, yea I know the "we" thing very well! My memory must really be shot, I don't seem to remember any else around when "we" did alot of things around here!

2dream, even a comb would not have helped todays doo, good thing I don't have any neigbors! Personally, I have found overalls to be a hassle when you gotta squat behind the closest bush! I myself stick to the army surplus camo! All stains blend in and if some one shows up you don't want to see, you can just blend into the wood work and not be seen! What do you think about the idea of just ordering a new gauge?

Iceblink, thank you! I am going to try the grape leaf thing this year! I do make moms pickles every year, it's just something I feel I gotta do! It's all the other things I quit doing or never tried that I am trying to figure out! And lets just keep the Wa. no rain thing our little secret, this place is growing too much as it is! We did get a little rain these past couple of days! Just enough to ruin this weekends haying plans!

FarmerDenise, I hate clothes shopping! (ok I hate shopping period)
I usually don't mind what I am wearing if we are just running into get what ever, but it is nice to sometimes comb my hair and put clean clothes on for a night out! Ya know burger king!

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Frosting!
(You posted while I was!)

If I just put my hair in a pony tail, I have to check to see how dirty my neck is!
Around here, seeing people in poo covered barn boots used to be pretty common! Now that the area has grown, it's just plain fun to watch the people TRY to avoid touching my dirty rig in the parking lots!
Mom taught me to use pectin to make jam. If I was to get energetic, I could head to the coast and get my Squeezo from a friend that has it and make some blackberry jam!
But then we are back to the combing my hair thing!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love your sense of humor. Really glad you joined. You're wicked!!! ;) :lol:
The only stores I like are: The goodwill outlet store, the hardware store, nurseries (sometimes), and other second hand stores (depending on their specialty)
edited to add FARM supply stores

Thewife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I love your sense of humor. Really glad you joined. You're wicked!!! ;) :lol:
The only stores I like are: The goodwill outlet store, the hardware store, nurseries (sometimes), and other second hand stores (depending on their specialty)
edited to add FARM supply stores
I'm not wicked!
Just a little evil!

Goodwill, Value village, Lowes, Cabelas bargin cave, and anywhere that sells tools or machines! I have to avoid nurseries or lock up the birds!
Got to got to the Kubota and the John Deere dealers the other day, it was heaven!
(too bad I'm broke and deep in debt)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:welcome The Wife! You are hoot, girl! ;) I'm a stick a hat on person myself.

big brown horse said:
My mom always described the corn being as high as an elephant's eye by the forth of July, but that was TX!
BBH - In Texas - Corn needed to be as high as an elephant's eye by 4th of July - because it better be ready to harvest before the really hot days arrive! :D

In Ohio, knee high by the 4th of July. But I notice that not many farmers are that lucky this year, as we had a late winter, which delayed planting.