Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks. I think we're staying home tomorrow. DS sounds awful and I'm exhausted. I have to sleep out in the woods Friday night and hike around all day Saturday. I can't back out of that now. So I need to get better fast! I really want to enjoy this! I'm a little nervous about it. Not sure why. I've got a tent. I can put it up by myself. I've been practicing. I've never slept out in a tent by myself but there will be others in their own tents around me. I don't sleep particularly well in a tent. It's going to be chilly. There are many unknowns, like how far are we going to have to hike in. sigh. getting all worked up for probably nothing.
I've got a PBS channel on. DS just wandered in. We're watching some show about Egyptian pharoahs and cities and archaelogy. He's enthralled. He's been fascinated by the subject since he was three. Indiana Jones is his hero. Our dog is named Indy for a reason! It's really fun to watch him watch this. However he needs to get to bed, and so do I! I'm taking Bio-veg, something my naturopath gave me last time I had a nasty cold. It seems to keep the worst of symptoms at bay. They're big nasty horse sized pills that contain ground hot peppers. You have to swallow them just right or they scratch your throat with hot pepper. Ow! But they don't give you medicine head and seem to work better than OTC cold stuff. Those meds just make me stupid.

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sheesh, that's nasty. :( I hope you feel better! Sending good vibes.

I have a special tea that helps with colds. Take a teaspoon of fresh ginger, a few drops of lemon juice, a piece of a cinnamon stick and a dash of honey. Mix it in a cup of hot water, and drink while steaming. Make a new one ever few hours. Does wonders. :)

Also, elderberry tincture knocks out viruses like you wouldn't believe. Take it within the first 72 hours of symptoms. For an added boost, take a vitamin supplement. Though, I'm sure you already know all this. :hugs Get well soon!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Over the winter I was shown how to make Hot Toddy Tea. We had my brother and his girlfriend/fiance staying with us through the holidays and we all came down with a cold.

It's basically a Tbs of whiskey, brandy or rum (I've found that brandy is the best), a cup full of hot tea, a little lemon juice and a Tbs of honey.

Really helps sore throats and stuffy noses.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Don't know, just something about hot tea I don't like.
Well, I'm not ready. I will have about an hour and a half when I get home to finish throwing my stuff together and getting out the door. I hate feeling rushed. I hate it! Plus DS has a baseball game and DH is going to get all, "where's his uniform, what do I feed him, etc." Ugh! I should have been in bed an hour ago. I'm trying to ignore this flushed feeling. I either have a fever or I'm having my first ever hot flash. Do they last several hours???

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I survived my 27 hours in the woods doing outdoor Cub Scout leader training. I survived sleeping on a foam mat on the ground in my little backpacking tent. I survived being woken by barred owls no less than 8 times during the night. AH bed feels good.
What'd I miss? Besides the world not ending?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome back! How is that cold feeling? Any better? Isn't a bed more comfortable after a " night under the stars"? LOL

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Glad it went well!! :)

You didn't miss anything. If the rapture happened, no one made the cut. LOL!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No Scouts, this was just adults doing an outdoor leader training course so we're able to take the Scouts out into the great outdoors. Aside from the lack of sleep it really was fun. I met some nice people, some of whom will also be bringing their Scouts to the same week of camp that our group is going to. One is another female leader which is nice. SHe has dealt with the male leaders from our pack and knows what I'm dealing with in terms of the control issues etc. It will be nice have an ally.
The cold is slightly better although I sound awful after a night in front of a camp fire. I doubt camping out did me any good but I didn't want to cancel and have to wait a year to do this. I feel better after a good night's sleep but I could have used a few more hours. We're up and getting ready for church. Cub Scout raingutter regatta later today then a rush to get ready for the week. I would have loved to work on the veggie garden but that isn't going to happen. And rain all week again means it won't happen next week.
It is another busy week. DS had a dentist appt. I have a regular physical (first one since I started seeing the naturopath. Not sure what the MD is going to have to say.... but I need it for Scout camp so I have no choice) DS and I both see the naturopath. THere are several baseball games scheduled. The weather will control that. We have at least two to make up already. Because of the regatta today we won't have a Scout meeting tomorrow night. That helps. I'm looking forward to the three day weekend at the end of this week. And after that only 16 days of school left! 20 as of now.
Just to prove that life doesn't happen quite right when I'm not home I was awakened this morning by clucking. DH managed to lock out one of the wyandottes. SHe was under the deck. She's fine. I haven't had a chance to see if she's got a clutch of eggs under there or what. She may just not have made into the coop and stayed under there for shelter. I do have a broody duck on a nest in the coop. And I found another duck with 4 eggs in the wood pile. She's not sitting on them yet. We'll see what happens. I do NOT want more ducks. DS will be a bear about selling them young. Ducklings are so cute!! Last year they abondoned their nests and it wasn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.