HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Oh girl, I have 2 labs in the house.....I don't get fur balls I get TUMBLEWEEDS!!!! I have to sweep 2-3 times a day....if the weather is nice they will hang out on the porch all day but not now.....they are big babies when it comes to the cold!

The only problem I had with the washcloths was that I had to move them and tuck them back in about halfway through cleaning. If I do it again I'll cut them to fit exactly or sew some with elastic around it or a drawstring kind of thing sort of like a cloth showercap that would completely surround the flat part of the swiffer.
I hear ya! I get St. Bernard tumbleweeds too. I too spend my afternoons sweeping and sweeping...ugh!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Girls girls... with a Siberian Husky/ German Shepherd and a German Shepherd in the house I have learned an easier way to clean to fur piles.

You just turn the ceiling fan on high and wait five minutes then clean out all of the corners!! :lol: :celebrate

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now that's SS ingenuity! :lol:

I say buy a carpet that matches your dogs..... :D After all...it's all about the dogs, huh? ;) Wouldn't work for me....my hairball is white. :(

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

Years ago my mom actually brought vinyl samples for the kitchen home to "test".

She picked the one that did the best job hiding mud and birdseed from her parakeet!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a lady at my work recently buying fabric to match her cats. I assured her that I TOTALLY understand, and that I have had to give up dark colors because of my cat. She replied with "well, I bought carpet to match the cats." :lol:

I keep reading of all the crazy massive winter storms all over the country and feel so left out! Here we haven't had a touch of snow since mid-December. I believe we're either on course to break, or have already broken the record set in the 1800s for warmest January recorded. Temps in the mid 50s everyday. The past couple nights it's gotten a bit frosty, but just barely. I love the snow, but after last year I'm thrilled not to get any more.

LAST YEAR. (Well, actually December of 2008, but it counts!)

100_2044.jpg

January 2009 we had all that snow melt and flooding in the lowlands. Not for me though.

This year!

Updated Wednesday 6:00 p.m.

We continue to close in on having the warmest January on record. Unless some drastic cool down takes place, it will be a fact by Sunday.
http://www.komonews.com/weather/

So all you who have snow, be safe and maybe we'll get it next year.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not much happening. Weather is incredibly boring. Low 50s each day, either partly cloudy, or light sprinkles. Blah! Might learn how to can. Farmer's Market opens in April. I might be able to move before the house sells. Oh! I found the flier from the class my parents took on how to build a log home.

IMG.jpg

Sorry for the terrible scan- the paper was not normal sized. Anyway, they took the class and built our house! Best investment ever! I so miss that house. Not that I like living there, because it was 900 sq ft, and I was a teenage girl wanting privacy. But if I was living there by myself I would be super happy.

I have all these things I'd like to do if I wasn't so broke! I want to try to sell some soap locally, but I have no money to buy the supplies to make the soap. I want to work on my emergency supplies, but can't afford the food, or containers. The only thing I can do is try to finish old sewing/knitting projects that I already have all the supplies for. Since I'm totally burning out on crafting I find myself scrubbing the oven with a toothbrush because I walked by and saw a bit of grease. :( Oh, and I have to renew my tabs and like an idiot I forgot to leave myself the money for it. Yay!

Okay, 'nuff with the whine fest. Things aren't really that bad. The days are getting longer, I'm getting a few more hours at work, and maybe I can talk my parents into letting me move. Yeah. Good.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found a place which grows most of its seeds (all non-GM) in Acme, WA, which is not too far away. I think they only ship, though. So how much is decent for packets of heirloom seeds? They're mostly $3.00 from this place. I thought it was good until I saw someone else post about $.10 seed packets?!

For some reason I've been obsessing over food storage, and general emergency preparedness. I get paid a week from today, and I'm planning to hit Goodwill for their book section. I bet they have a lot of stuff for "old fashioned" living. Which is basically SS living. I really should get a cell phone, in case my car breaks down. I'm looking at Tracfone because of the $9.99 a month plan. Or sometimes things come up that you need a phone, like the time my manager got her days confused and didn't show up to open the store. :lol: It was good to call her so that we could, you know, open. I have home phone service because the house is for sale, and it's like $24 after tax, but I don't want to get rid of it yet. Maybe when I move.

It's a little windy, and I love hearing the sound. :cool:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not dead, but busy! The house is officially pending sale. But since it is a short sale, the bank could decide not to accept or some such nonsense. I don't really understand, and don't care. Either way, I'm moving next month to a duplex with an existing chicken pen, a wood burning fireplace, and a raised garden bed. Once I'm there I think I'll be on here more with tons of questions. :)

I gave notice at work! *dances* They are starting secret shoppers at JoAnns. I understand the need for it, in some ways. BUT they have tons of rules. Such as every time a person comes into the aisle you're in, you must ask if they need help within five seconds. They give NO leeway for circumstances like if you are already helping another customer, or are up high on a ladder reaching for something. It's this stupid junk that bothers me. I would get mad if the employee who was helping me suddenly went over to someone else and abandoned me. But I won't be there, so ha! Btw, when you go to JoAnn's and they ask you if you get the coupon mailer each time you shop, know that they HAVE TO ASK EACH PERSON. If a manager or secret shopper sees them not ask, they can get written up.

Still some problems, of course, like how much it will cost to hire movers. No, we can't do it ourselves unless we want large chiropractors bills when someone throws their back out. It's not worth it. Plus, if we damage the house while moving out, the buyer will demand that we fix it. On the whole, things are fine. Or will be once we get a solid move date. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Btw, when you go to JoAnn's and they ask you if you get the coupon mailer each time you shop, know that they HAVE TO ASK EACH PERSON. If a manager or secret shopper sees them not ask, they can get written up.
sometimes things like this seem weird to me. as a customer sometimes you just want to shop in peace and NOT be greeted. hum....

oh well - actually this explains a lot. one of the banks that we use is always trying to cross-sell us on their products. i know its their job but WOW. when they start with "are you getting all the benefits you deserve...."

i just tell them i'm a bad customer and i dont deserve any benefits
;-)

good luck with the house!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no...now JoAnn's is starting that too? We go to Lowes alot, and sometimes I feel I'm being accosted by the employees, who rush over, one by one by one, no matter where you are, to ask if I need help.

Or the other thing....Safeway et al - did you find everything you wanted today? Er,,,,no I really wanted to find a hundred dollar bill, but didn't.

sheesh....