HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OMG how frustrating! I would have done the exact same thing! Good for you!

When Sam was a baby we lived in a duplex that had a shared yard. The new neighbors moved in with a great dane. They said they would put up a fence but never did. :rolleyes:

Every night that big dog barked at us through the window while we tried to eat dinner. :somad (And pooped on our side of the yard! Double ->:somad :somad )

They were never home so finally I called the police one night after hours and hours of barking through our windows. It was like Chinese water torture! (He was tall enough to look into all of our back windows.)

I thought they were the rudest people I had ever encountered. I mean, I had a baby for goodness sake, how in the world am I supposed to put her down for a nap or to bed???

Finally the lady got pregnant and the dog went bye bye. :rolleyes: Gee thanks....a little too late, we moved shortly after that. :rolleyes: I'll never forget that miserable experience with a rude neighbor's dog.

Oh by the way that dog was so sweet, it was the owner's fault for ignoring the poor beast.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I definitely have no hard feelings for my neighbor's or their dog. She would only bark like that when they weren't home and how do you train a barking dog when you aren't home? She's very protective and OLD. :old On a side note, I've also guerilla-weeded their front yard before. LOL

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One good thing (for me!) is that since there is no yard, only steep woods around the duplex, the 3 year old isn't outside much. Although when I was little I loved tromping through the forest that surrounded my house... The back yard has three "tiers" which go up high. The third has the most sun, and the garden. I've already been warned that snakes sun themselves up on the third tier. But we only get gardener snakes.

I'm moving to Gig Harbor, so much closer to all you guys! I heard that our farmer's market is much improved since I left. And there are more fabric stores in Tacoma than in Bellingham. Also I found a place that delivers organic produce. I know, I can grow my own, but not everything. And I've had this for months up here, and love it! I eat better, and it's not that expensive.

Here's an example of the house. No paneling, but maybe I can talk the owner into letting me paint the kitchen cabinets. They are awful! This is what I call the big living room. There is also a family room off of the kitchen, where the fireplace is. I forgot to take a picture of it.

100_2205.jpg

Another good thing is that there are no baseboard heaters. I probably will not use the central heating system, but I hate how awkward those baseboards are, and there aren't any!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Slight downer in the form of the moving companies... Omg, so expensive! Also, the one that was cheaper was discovered to be a bit shady. In Washington, a move of over 55 miles must be charged by weight and mileage. Well, one company said they charged by the hour, which should be only local. My move is over 100 miles in either direction. I really don't want my awful step-brother to help, since I don't trust him, I think he will not be careful with my things, and he will also charge us. No "family loyalty" here! So the estimate from the legit company is waaaaaaaaaay more. Getting another one tomorrow. Hey, some of you are in Washington... Ever hire movers? I bet all of you moved yourselves. Not going to happen for us, for lots of reasons.

If the prices of both companies are close I will still end up doing it.

My mom has some sort of stomach bug, so I can't talk to her about it right now, as she keeps having to run to the bathroom. Is there anything worse than throwing up, and diarrhea almost at the same time?

I heard that my new neighbor in the duplex was worried about me! Do I party, have a boyfriend, etc. lol.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Nice window! Yes needs a bit of updating, but new curtains will make a huge difference.

We had to hire movers too b/c we moved up here from TX. (I hate moving!!! ICK!!) They were a TX based company, so I can't really help ya in that department.

I have not been to the Gig H. farmer's market yet. I went to the one in Key Peninsula, but now they say it morphed into the Gig H. f. market, which would make the G. Harbor market bigger and better, right? :p

I'll check it out this weekend. We work out/swim at the YMCA there.

Our farmer's market is mainly just crafts and when I say crafts I mean nifty knitter hats made with poly yarn. :p It is by the water, so that makes it nicer.

P.S. If you are still into raw milk, I pick it up in Bremerton every week.

And if you ever want to play with farm animals, I'm closer to Purdy than P.Orchard. :D

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We drove by the market in GH last Saturday when I saw the duplex. It did look bigger, but I guess we stole from the KP one, lol! Let me know if there's other stuff, like produce, and honey. I also heard that they put an Indian restaurant somewhere in the Harbor! I'm so excited!

Oh, raw milk! I loath Bremerton, though.

Purdy! Oh, the memories. I once caught a crab while fishing in the lagoon. :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
HP - your new place looks like it has some great potential! I am sure you will make it a better place!

And how neat that you will be closer to some other ss'ers!! Congratulations!

I haven't ever lived in WA - but I did survive a corporate move from NE Ohio to Houston, TX area, which was handled by Allied Moving. Of course, that is a bunch more miles than you will be moving! :lol: (When TR and I were moving from TX back to NE Ohio, we found that the move would cost us between $3500 to $5000 depending on the moving company.) Keep checking around. Do you have any local companies like 2 Men With A Truck?

Good luck with the move - I hate them! :D

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I discovered that the duplex windows face north east, and north west, so it's going to be DARK. I will be investing in some daylight bulbs (the ones that look blue/white). And I want to make curtains for the kitchen nook window. I have some white fabric with tiny cherries that I want to pair with red and white gingham. But hopefully I will be in the garden a bunch!

Wow, the estimate we got from one Mayflower was $1700. We're only moving 140 miles either way. Yours was what- 1,000 miles? Sheesh. We'll see what United says tomorrow. And the local company was the shady one. :( I've not heard of the one you mentioned.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The second offer is $1,200 based on 5,000 pounds. My goal is to cut that number as much as possible. 4,000 pounds would be $960. I'm making a list of all the small but heavy things that we could transport ourselves. I have almost 100 pounds of encyclopedias, that's $24 right there! So at first my mom said no way, that it was too expensive, but I'm working on it. I said what, you want to rent a truck, find people to help (who we will have to pay somehow), then find people to unload down in GH? If we had young friends who were willing to help for free none of this would be a problem, but guess what? All our friends are either too old or too far away. Plus, honestly... I think it's worth it to hire professionals. I hate hate hate moving, and the only thing I hate more is the FIGHTING and grumpy people that come to help. I've never helped move someone, either myself or a friend where someone didn't yell, or where something wasn't broken, or where someone didn't hurt them self.

I'm so sad. The house on the other side is now sold. So both houses on either side of me that BOTH went up for sale after mine are sold and the new owners either moved in, or getting ready to. A guy came and took down the other houses for sale sign and some people are there painting now. I'm jealous!

Okay, I have to end on a happy note. Think. Oh, it's bright and sunny here! A beautiful 66 degrees. I take possession of the duplex next Friday! :ya When I drive down I'll take a ton of heavy stuff! And I'll go through it with my friend, the landlady and ask about fixing it up. About painting the kitchen cabinets, and building a new chicken pen. Omg, I'm so happy!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just weeded for about 40 minutes, and although it's supposedly only 60 outside, I had to come in because it was too hot for me! lol!

Just as I came inside a moving truck backed into the neighbors. So the new people are moving in already. *sigh* The jealousy is terrible! But next week I go to GH to sign papers and officially get the duplex. Moving date is still up in the air, but I hope it will be soon. I just want a date, a firm "this is it!" date. But no, my parents are the slowest moving, least willing to make a commitment couple I have ever seen. I could just schedule it myself, but I'm trying to be nice.

ioeyurwuoieyrh All I can hear is the movers next door!