Here's to the farm dogs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a moment of appreciation for my farm dog Lui today. He isn't a Livestock Guardian Dog, he isn't a herding dog. He's an all around family/farm dog. I couldn't ask for a better friend. He lets my daughter climb all over him, hangs out with the goats, and barks when he sees a stranger nearby. Lui accompanies me when I do chores every day, always stays on the property and makes sure to stand between me and anyone who shows up when my husband isn't here. Apparently I need protecting. Oh, he also has been known to kill rats on occasion!

0506171643c.jpg

Anyone else have a partner in crime who just makes their days better? Shameless animal pics?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have a golden retriever - 11 years old now! I ALWAYS let him outside when I go to the barn after dark. I'm afraid of cougars, even though they're beyond rare here!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
He's gorgeous!!! And he sounds like a really good farm dog. :woot Can't buy one of those for any amount of money...a good farm dog is worth his weight in gold and then some.

Don't have to ask me twice! I love to blab on about my dogs...they are wonderful boon companions and work partners and I thank God for them often.

I love Labs and Lab mix dogs for farm dogs and have had a few that I wouldn't trade for love nor any amount of money. I have one of those now, have had him since a pup and he's a great dog. I've had three great dogs and all have been Labs or Lab mix dogs...all keeping my chickens and sheep safe most efficiently and guarding the land as well. Great family dogs and companions, all.

I also have a LGD mix pup that will be 2 come July who is working out to be a fair farm dog, though he has big problems with loud noises....we'll be working on that.

Jake, Lab/BC mix, 10 yrs old and excellent from day one and still showing the young pup how it's all done...got Jake as a 2 mo. old pup and he's been fully trustworthy on chickens since the first day of training on them. He has held off coyotes, black bear, bobcat and foxes here by himself for many years, though now he has a partner for that.

He rules the food, he's swift of foot and the youngster has a hard time keeping up in the play, kills anything that comes in his territory~including moles, mice, voles, etc.~ and has never lost a fight, even when the dogs outweigh him by a good 80 lbs. Excellent companion, wonderful with children and small animals, friend to sheep and chickens alike....bonds with his flocks, in other words. He's very quiet, rarely barks, so when he does, I know something real is out there...this silence also allows him to kill many small game that wander into his territory.

Jake, humble, loyal and courageous...great farm dog!

100_5241.jpg

100_5337.jpg

Then there is Ben, a 1 and 1/2 yr old Anatolian/Maremma/Great Pyr mix dog. Came here at 2 mo. and was fully trustworthy on chickens within 2 wks of being here, has become a boon companion to Jake and has learned many of his good habits from Jake. Intelligent, intuitive and easy to train on many things, while being gentle with small animals and children alike.

Ben has great potential and is shaping up to be a great farm dog! Sweet, eager to please, hard working and also has learned to be mostly silent from his pal, Jake. I love having a quiet homestead, so that's all a wonderful thing to me. Ben, like Jake, is a lover, just wanting to be petted and loved on all the time. Has a funny, quirky personality~steals tools, baby dolls, gloves, etc. when I'm choring in his area...have to really watch him. :D

Ben, courageous, sweet, funny and smart! A great farm dog in the making.

100_5493.jpg

100_5564.jpg

100_5249.jpg

In downward dog position....in other words, waiting to be allowed to eat! ;)

100_5355.jpg

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love it! My Lui is only 55 lbs so not going to take out anything large but he lets me know what's up! He was actually a rescue dog.

Two years ago my husband and I were outside at night cleaning up from whatever we had been doing that day. Lui let out a small growl and half woof, very quiet, and alerted towards the woods. My husband shone the light towards the woods and cocked his gun and Lui stood down, and sort of coralled me to the car. It was a HUGE bear, and it was not afraid of humans.

Good dogs. He knew what to do.

I love the downward dog. Neither of mine wait patiently for their food at all! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He barks when people show up but when he does that low soft woof/growl I know there's a critter nearby!

Love the pic of Ben and your granddaughter. So sweet!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
She was sitting there scooping dirt on his back all day and he was lying there, just letting her. :D She loves to shovel and scoop and he loves anyone touching him, so it was a good setup.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My two. GSD and an aussie/heeler mix

They guard chickens, chase off canadian geese, and kill rodents.

They follow me around as I do my chores or work outside and make sure nothing gets me. Well they follow me around in the house as well to make sure I'm always okay
IMG_5907.jpg