NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would get some too if I wasn't overwhelmed with breeds now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would get some too if I wasn't overwhelmed with breeds now!
I know! I found myself on the Ideal Poultry site last night.... YIKES! But, I want some more guineas....and maybe some dark Cornish...

Has anybody here ever had any Buckeyes? I think they're beautiful birds!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guineas are a little much for me, lol!

I've got two dark cornish chicks right now, eager to see how they do. They're my husband's project but they are interesting birds.

Never had buckeyes. I don't even know anything about them, really.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that would be really cool! They are such interesting looking birds. I don't know much about them but I've seen them in a hatchery catalog.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are amazing looking birds and so rare here, which makes them very tempting.

Two years ago I bumped into (literally) an Ayam Cemani and her breeder at the Cork Summer Show. She went on to win Reserve Champion of the show and he offered me 6 hatching eggs for €50. Tempting!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah they are a little creepy! And so darn expensive! Other than their looks, are they actually a productive bird? Or more a showpiece? I've always wondered that about them...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Certain ethnic groups here will buy those up in a flash. I personally think I would have a hard time eating black meat. I'm sure it taste the same.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies aren't as dark as the ayam cemani, but I'm always asked how I can eat their meat. Yes it tastes exactly the same as the ameraucanas I've raised.

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just recently brought home 5 straight run Icelandic chicks due to their notoriety for being good foragers and great in tough climates, which Minnesota really can be most of the year. I would love to add in other Heritage breeds and rare breeds that are seemingly being lost.

Latest posts