Hey, Who's Up For Some Higher Electric Bills?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Isn't all manufacturing carbon intensive, though? Not being sarcastic at all, it's a sincere question.

It sort of reminds me of reading, "What's The Greenest Way To Wash Dishes?" on a popular blog, and the writer coming to the conclusion that a low-e dishwasher with non-toxic soap was the greenest method, except, whoa, not really, because it doesn't account for the carbon footprint of having manufactured the dishwasher.

My thought was, really? We are writing and reading about this on computers, for pity's sake.

If what we are asking is to stop manufacturing, even of energy conserving/producing things, then we are going to need to return to an economy that looks an awful lot like a pre-industrial, agrarian one.

I'm with FarmerChick, this doesn't surprise me in the least. As the rest of the world industrializes, the cost of all different types of energy is going to go up. There's no way to avoid it. We might as well start harvesting energy from renewable/abundant sources than waste our time fighting over resources that are destined to get more and more scarce.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
and this is surprising to whom??

not me. sure it had to happen.

more to follow, not just power. (it said annual increase from $107 per year to $178 per year in the article--they are VERY unsure about what the true hike will be)

well, ain't that purty...they are giving to us in small doses so it will be accepted no matter what the hike lol
If it was only the $107 - $178 a year, it wouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately, those numbers are the estimated increase per household just for what ComEd pays electricity generators to reserve a portion of their power three years into the future. The actual energy costs are additional. "The Illinois Power Agency estimates that by 2017 the energy portion of bills could jump 65 percent from today's rates."

At least we as a group are aware of it, and most of us are actively trying to reduce consumption, unlike the vast majority of our oblivious population.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I wasn't sure about the cost factor...but reading that they aren't sure what the true hike will be...but that is obvious, until 2014 gets here and regs put into place, etc. bottom line can't be drawn absolute.

sad thing is nothing surprises me much anymore. I think alot of people in general all over the world are unphased at the actual crappola happening around us...maybe we get too much, at one time, in our faces, all the while trying to survive ourselves :/ overkill on issues I guess??

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
We keep our bills low, as is. My apartment splits heat (down to 10/month cuz it's summer) and we pay our own electricity. This month was $35.

Two bedroom apartment and both occupants stay home. I work from home and roommie is on disability so he doesn't work. We are also both up late into the night, requiring more lights.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great. Our solar panels will pay for themselves sooner than we expected!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Not ALL people. Just stupid people who are mathematically challenged and think that world can run on rainbows and clean-burning unicorn farts.
Excuse me, would it please be possible to remember that there is a diversity of opinions on this forum and that just cuz someone has a different opinion than yours does not make it all fine and dandy to call them nasty names.

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
So are you representing those who believe in using unicorn farts as a viable fuel source?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* OFG pulls up to fuel station in enormous carbon puking work truck, yells out to station attendant..."

Say brother, can I get 47 gallons of unicorn fartz please? and check the oil too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I went to college for solar engineering. Many people have no idea how dirty their "clean energy" really is. Look in to solar panel construction methods sometime.

Considering the skies used to be black with coal dust and wood ash, I think we have come a long, long way. No need to destroy what's left of the economy to meet some artificially imposed, unrealistic goal.
are you still current on manufacturing techniques etc.

college for you wasn't yesterday :lol: :lol:

technology changes from minute to minute nowadays :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
* OFG pulls up to fuel station in enormous carbon puking work truck, yells out to station attendant..."

Say brother, can I get 47 gallons of unicorn fartz please? and check the oil too.
OIL
you don't need no stinking oil

just use Unicorn Snots

just as slimey-- I guess it should work! :)