Home Made Bread Recipe That Makes A LOT of Loaves?

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My children love my homemade bread but that snack on it. THey can go through a whole loaf in a day! I am trying to stop buying store bought bread but I just don't have the energy to make bread every day. So, is there a easy recipe that makes a LOT of loaves-maybe seven-at once?

Trying to increase my own recipe that much has produced glorious failures. So, if someone has such a recipe, I would love it. Then I could freeze the loaves and unthaw a new loaf everyday.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I personally don't have a recipe, but I think if you check out www.hillbillyhousewife.com you might find some fun bread/muffin recipes there! :)
I love her site, but I don't think that she has a recipe that makes enough loaves. Really, my kids LOVE homemade bread! I bet I could go through a loaf every day!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, try this and let us know how it turns out. ! :D

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/xSF1whitebread.htm

It is a recipe for 16 loaves. THe author gives instructions to reduce the recipe to 1 loaf. So you ought to easily be able to half it to make 8 loaves.

I'm going to check out his/her "serves fifty" index. There might be a few things in there that would be very economical to make and freeze.

Cassandra

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Hey, try this and let us know how it turns out. ! :D

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/xSF1whitebread.htm

It is a recipe for 16 loaves. THe author gives instructions to reduce the recipe to 1 loaf. So you ought to easily be able to half it to make 8 loaves.

I'm going to check out his/her "serves fifty" index. There might be a few things in there that would be very economical to make and freeze.

Cassandra
Thank you. That sounds like it might work!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
YUM, that looks very promising, thank you!!! I wonder what size mixer you need for it? NO, Sandy, NOT a good reason to buy an industrial mixer!!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
YUM, that looks very promising, thank you!!! I wonder what size mixer you need for it? NO, Sandy, NOT a good reason to buy an industrial mixer!!!
I know! Every recipe I look at, I envision mixing bowls the size of 55 gallon drums! LOL

Cassandra

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just bought a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I thought the author was a little on the whacko side when I saw the title, but her recipe and method makes GREAT bread and you can make up enough dough for 8 loaves.

The key is that you don't have to fiddle with the yeast or the dough, nor do you do any kneading. The basic recipe is (for two loaves) (you can double or halve it)

3 cups warm water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 & 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
6 & 1/2 cups flour (I use 4 &1/2 cups unbleached white, plus two cups whole wheat)

You just put the yeast and salt into the warm water, add the flour and stir, just until the flour is all absorbed. Then refrigerate the dough. Really! When you want to make a loaf of bread, pull off a section about the size of a small cantaloupe, then with lightly floured hands, form into a round or a loaf-shape. Place on a lightly greased flat pan (cookie sheet) and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450, place about a cup of water in a pan on the lower shelf, and bake the bread for about 25 minutes. You can slash the top of the dough before baking, but I don't bother. It does give it an "artisanal" appearance if you do, though.

I was really surprised by the nice texture and good flavor from such a basic recipe, with less effort than making a cake from a mix! The dough is good in the fridge for a couple weeks.

My method is a simplified version of what she says to do in the book. Still gets good bread!

The book is worth buying or checking out from the library, as there are numerous variations, including some sweet bread recipes that are delicious.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
cjparker said:
I just bought a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I thought the author was a little on the whacko side when I saw the title, but her recipe and method makes GREAT bread and you can make up enough dough for 8 loaves.

The key is that you don't have to fiddle with the yeast or the dough, nor do you do any kneading. The basic recipe is (for two loaves) (you can double or halve it)

3 cups warm water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 & 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
6 & 1/2 cups flour (I use 4 &1/2 cups unbleached white, plus two cups whole wheat)

You just put the yeast and salt into the warm water, add the flour and stir, just until the flour is all absorbed. Then refrigerate the dough. Really! When you want to make a loaf of bread, pull off a section about the size of a small cantaloupe, then with lightly floured hands, form into a round or a loaf-shape. Place on a lightly greased flat pan (cookie sheet) and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450, place about a cup of water in a pan on the lower shelf, and bake the bread for about 25 minutes. You can slash the top of the dough before baking, but I don't bother. It does give it an "artisanal" appearance if you do, though.

I was really surprised by the nice texture and good flavor from such a basic recipe, with less effort than making a cake from a mix! The dough is good in the fridge for a couple weeks.

My method is a simplified version of what she says to do in the book. Still gets good bread!

The book is worth buying or checking out from the library, as there are numerous variations, including some sweet bread recipes that are delicious.
That's what my grandma used to do, now she buys pre-made dough

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good sweet bread recipe? I don't mean like sweet rolls, but like Hawaiian bread, or even the Indian Fry bread? I've seen many, but would like some that have been 'tested true' before I run them through the oven.