Home Made Bread Recipe That Makes A LOT of Loaves?

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
deb1 said:
pioneergirl said:
I personally don't have a recipe, but I think if you check out www.hillbillyhousewife.com you might find some fun bread/muffin recipes there! :)
I love her site, but I don't think that she has a recipe that makes enough loaves. Really, my kids LOVE homemade bread! I bet I could go through a loaf every day!
LOL I made two loaves yesterday - they were both gone shortly after dinner.

I would love to make bread every day, too, but am in the same boat - no time for all of that EVERY day.

edited because there really are two L's in All.

Peace -
Meriah

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I printed out the fry bread recipe, and maybe today I'll get around to making it! Its just been sooo rainy here, its borderline depressing. :/ I wonder if I put sugar (just about a Tbs or 2) in with the flour if it would take some of the bitterness out?

prairie girl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I wonder if I put sugar (just about a Tbs or 2) in with the flour if it would take some of the bitterness out?
I've never found it to be bitter but if you add a bit of sugar it will probably brown a bit faster. Let me know how it turns out for you. New bread recipes always take a couple of trys to get it exactly how you want it - at least that's what I've found.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cjparker said:
I just bought a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I thought the author was a little on the whacko side when I saw the title, but her recipe and method makes GREAT bread and you can make up enough dough for 8 loaves.

The key is that you don't have to fiddle with the yeast or the dough, nor do you do any kneading. The basic recipe is (for two loaves) (you can double or halve it)

3 cups warm water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 & 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
6 & 1/2 cups flour (I use 4 &1/2 cups unbleached white, plus two cups whole wheat)

You just put the yeast and salt into the warm water, add the flour and stir, just until the flour is all absorbed. Then refrigerate the dough. Really! When you want to make a loaf of bread, pull off a section about the size of a small cantaloupe, then with lightly floured hands, form into a round or a loaf-shape. Place on a lightly greased flat pan (cookie sheet) and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450, place about a cup of water in a pan on the lower shelf, and bake the bread for about 25 minutes. You can slash the top of the dough before baking, but I don't bother. It does give it an "artisanal" appearance if you do, though.

I was really surprised by the nice texture and good flavor from such a basic recipe, with less effort than making a cake from a mix! The dough is good in the fridge for a couple weeks.

My method is a simplified version of what she says to do in the book. Still gets good bread!

The book is worth buying or checking out from the library, as there are numerous variations, including some sweet bread recipes that are delicious.
I made a loaf of this today, (still have dough for another loaf in the fridge). I used only white flour because I had just run out of wheat flour. I turned out nicely. The flavor reminds me of sourdough bread. I made mine in a loaf pan so that it is easier to get uniform slices for sandwiches and such. I will definitely make it again with wheat flour. I can't imagine making enough for eight loaves at once though. Just the dough for two, I had to punch it down twice today to keep it from overflowing the biggest mixing bowl I have.

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Better luck than mine! I tried to make a couple of loaves this weekend only to find that it wouldn't rise! My yeast had gone bad. Oh, well. I baked it anyway and my chickens had an extra treat.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Does anyone have a good sweet bread recipe? I don't mean like sweet rolls, but like Hawaiian bread, or even the Indian Fry bread? I've seen many, but would like some that have been 'tested true' before I run them through the oven.
Hawaiian Sweet Bread
This recipe calls for the dough to be mixed in a bread machine and baked in the oven. Instead of a bread machine, you can use a mixer like a Kitchen Aid that can handle bread doughs.

1 c warm water
5 T white sugar
3 c all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 T dry milk powder
2 T dry potato flakes
1 T active dry yeast
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 eggs
4 T margarine

Measure ingredients into the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Set machine for dough.

Place dough in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Allow to rise until doubled. Preheat the oven to 350F (175 C).

Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Crust should be golden and bread should sound hollow when thumped.

pitzerlady47

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i tried Artesian bread recip:(e HELP did something wrong doughy in middle beautiful on outside!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine was a bit doughy in the middle as well, but I assume I just needed to bake it a bit longer as the top wasn't as brown as it could have been.