Home Made Bread Recipe That Makes A LOT of Loaves?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a recipe that makes 6 large loaves. This is "Batch Bread" from The Wooden Spoon Bread Book by Marilyn M. Moore -- an excellent bread cookbook, which I highly recommend.

1/2 c. warm water
2 T. or 3 packets dry yeast

Combine and let stand 5 min. Add

6 c. warm water or warm (not hot) scalded milk
1 c. sugar
1 c. oil
2 T. salt
1 egg
1 c. stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 of a 5 lb. bag of unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour

Beat vigorously for 5 min. Cover and let rise 1 hr. To make a stiff dough, gradually add the rest of the bag of flour. Knead until smooth. Put dough in one or two well-oiled bowls, turning once to oil the top. Let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1.5 hours. Knead, divide into loaves (six 9x5 pans), and let rise again until doubled, about 60 minutes. If your oven is too small to bake them all at once, only divide half the dough into loaves, let the other half do another rise in the bowl. Brush the tops of the loaves with a mixture of 1 egg, 2 T water, and 1 t sugar. Make a slash in the center top of each loaf. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

I've never tried this recipe (I've never needed that much bread at once!) but I have had this book for 15 years or more and every recipe I have tried out of it has been excellent. Enjoy!