Home Made Bread Recipe That Makes A LOT of Loaves?

roberte

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Edward Espe Brown's The Tassajara Bread Book has a basic recipe for 100% Whole Wheat that makes four medium size loaves. Uses a sponge to reduce kneading time and effort.

Lots of variations are included once the basic recipe becomes too routine.

Abebooks has used copies. Mine is from 1970; I don't know how much change happened in later editions. Cover hasn't changed.

Laural's Kitchen books make two loaves; doubling should work well. Also Whole Wheat (or grain) and most use a sponge or a biga to cut kneading and improve flavor.

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
6 cups of warm water
sourdough or 4 tablespoons of dry yeast
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/2 cup of palm oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
6 pounds of flour

it makes about 7-10 loaves or 24 rolls, 8 mini baguette, 5 loaves

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
cjparker said:
I just bought a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I thought the author was a little on the whacko side when I saw the title, but her recipe and method makes GREAT bread and you can make up enough dough for 8 loaves.

The key is that you don't have to fiddle with the yeast or the dough, nor do you do any kneading. The basic recipe is (for two loaves) (you can double or halve it)

3 cups warm water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 & 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
6 & 1/2 cups flour (I use 4 &1/2 cups unbleached white, plus two cups whole wheat)

You just put the yeast and salt into the warm water, add the flour and stir, just until the flour is all absorbed. Then refrigerate the dough. Really! When you want to make a loaf of bread, pull off a section about the size of a small cantaloupe, then with lightly floured hands, form into a round or a loaf-shape. Place on a lightly greased flat pan (cookie sheet) and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450, place about a cup of water in a pan on the lower shelf, and bake the bread for about 25 minutes. You can slash the top of the dough before baking, but I don't bother. It does give it an "artisanal" appearance if you do, though.

I was really surprised by the nice texture and good flavor from such a basic recipe, with less effort than making a cake from a mix! The dough is good in the fridge for a couple weeks.

My method is a simplified version of what she says to do in the book. Still gets good bread!

The book is worth buying or checking out from the library, as there are numerous variations, including some sweet bread recipes that are delicious.
How do you store the dough in the fridge? Covered bowl? Can you use regular salt instead of coarse salt?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
In my experience, kosher salt is very flaky and fine. Sea salt is granular. Coarse salt is chunkier. I don't think it would matter which type you use since it will be dissolved in water. Good luck!

The dough would definitely need to be covered in order to not get a dried-out crusty top to it. I'm thinking I need an enormous bowl and lid!

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
In my experience, kosher salt is very flaky and fine. Sea salt is granular. Coarse salt is chunkier. I don't think it would matter which type you use since it will be dissolved in water. Good luck!

The dough would definitely need to be covered in order to not get a dried-out crusty top to it. I'm thinking I need an enormous bowl and lid!
to avoid a crusty top grease every part of the dough that is showing the same way that you grease the bowl and cover it with a towel, I have not had a crusty top since I started doing that even with sourdough which takes a total of 8-12 hours (depending on the weather)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good idea. That's what I do when my dough gets into the loaf pans: I spray Saran wrap with oil, then lay it over the loaves, oil side down. I like your idea better since it doesn't involve plastic. No problems with sticking?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
3 cups warm water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 & 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
6 & 1/2 cups flour (I use 4 &1/2 cups unbleached white, plus two cups whole wheat)

You just put the yeast and salt into the warm water, add the flour and stir, just until the flour is all absorbed. Then refrigerate the dough. Really! When you want to make a loaf of bread, pull off a section about the size of a small cantaloupe, then with lightly floured hands, form into a round or a loaf-shape. Place on a lightly greased flat pan (cookie sheet) and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450, place about a cup of water in a pan on the lower shelf, and bake the bread for about 25 minutes. You can slash the top of the dough before baking, but I don't bother. It does give it an "artisanal" appearance if you do, though.
I made this bread today.--just took it out of the oven.

I started it yesterday, --very simple--I used 1/2 &1/2 white to whole wheat.

When I took it out this morning, it was quite wet and soggy. i tore off a chunk, and put it in a loaf pan to rise ( I used the loaf pan, b/c of kids lunches).

It is quite good but I would have to say that I would, if it always turned out the way it did today, use it for buns to replace bagels in the morning. It was a bit chewier than I like my bread to be.

ETA, I had to let it rise for waaay longer than 40 minutes--after 40 minutes, it was still cold from being pulled out of the fridge. It probably rose for about1 1/2 hours.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I haven't been on this forum in a long while and had forgotten about this thread. Thanks. I will have to try some of these recipes They all sound yummy. :drool