Home made laundry soap

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We make it a slightly less tedious chore by setting the basket in the living room floor, putting on a good movie and folding as we watch. Then everyone puts their own clothing away. I have been making the boys mate up their own socks since they were little, that seems to take more time than anything. After awhile its hard to remember who wears what socks, so, whoever is folding leaves the socks for everyone to pick their own out and mate up.

My mom just freaks out when the boys don't turn their clothing right side out when they go to visit. I finally told her how I solve this problem! I just leave them that way....they have to turn them right side out some time or other if they want to wear them, so either way they have to do it for themselves. My mom never could choose her battles! :lol: I say don't sweat the small stuff!

doglover

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made this laundry soap. All of the ingredients were available at our local food store. I use it in the dry form, for my HE washer. I use 1 tablespoon, and it works GREAT! I love the fact that it makes the clothes so soft too.
Does anyone have a recipe for dishwasher soap?
I would love to make my own.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just made this soap today (with help from the kids of course). I made the gel kind this time, and next time I will make the powder kind to see which I like better.

I would also love to know a recipe for dishwasher soap and regular dish soap.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for dishwasher soap
There is a thread for that, too! Aren't we crafty??:)
We just started using it and it works well.

MrsCountryChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I would also love to know a recipe for dishwasher soap and regular dish soap.
Here's the info from an earlier posting on this thread, (Hope it Helps :) :

HOMEMADE Dishwasher Detergent

For dishwasher people

this works WONDERS and cheap--here it is! I use it and it is a great cleaner.

Dishwasher soap is easy to make, and cost effective. I mix up a batch in an empty canister, and pour it in the dishwasher as needed.

Mix and use per dishwasher load:
1 Tablespoon Borax
1 Tablespoon Baking soda

OR

Mix equal parts Borax and Baking Soda, and add 2 Tablespoons per load. Increase proportion of soda for hard water. Use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We've been talking about making the liquid laundry soap for about a year. Well I got around to making some in July, when we *finally* ran out of all the purchased laundry soap I had in storage. :/

I used my large water bath canner pot for making the soap. I used 1 grated bar of Fels Naptha, 2/3 cup of the Borax and 2/3 cup of the Washing Soda, plus water. I ended up with 24 quart canning jars full of thick liquid (gel consistancy) laundry detergent.

I use 1/4 cup of it as the thick gel for extra dirty clothes and 1/8 cup water added to 1/8 cup of the thick gel for lightly soiled clothes. For whites, I use my homemade oxy-clean or plain hydrogen peroxide; and we have used white vinegar in the rinse water for decades. We line dry and the clothes smell wonderful. We have well water with a softener system, so never have used much soap in a load.

We also use the laundry soap for washing dishes (by hand) and scrubbing our vinyl floors. It works very well and doesn't leave a film on either.

DH and I are really happy with the cost factor.

edited for clarity

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My ifrst batch was the laundry gel, but the powder is so much esier, and it cleans just as well.

I had a stain on my carpet, and the laudry soap got it outwhen even carpet cleaner did not. I'm sold on the stuff.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My ifrst batch was the laundry gel, but the powder is so much esier, and it cleans just as well.

I had a stain on my carpet, and the laudry soap got it outwhen even carpet cleaner did not. I'm sold on the stuff.
Ahhh, I have a couple of stains on my carpets...never thought of using the laundry soap to get them out...my carpet cleaning solution isn't working on them....thanks North!

pitzerlady47

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
how does the homade soap work with cold water wash? I rarely use warm or hot wash cycles.TY

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
pitzerlady47 said:
how does the homade soap work with cold water wash? I rarely use warm or hot wash cycles.TY
I NEVER use hot water, and it works great for me. Using hot water is just a waste of energy anyway. If you really need heat--warm water will do, but cold is all I ever use.