Home made laundry soap

PONDERCHICK

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The Simple Life====Love the recipe for the softener, Its more natural than the recipe that I have. I will give it a go as soon as i run out! The recipe I have is 2 cups of hair conditioner, 3 cups vinegar, and 6 cups of water! It works good, but i wanted something to eliminate the conditioner.

The homemade laundry soap is awesome! I use the Zote
soap thogh because its the only Laundry type bar i can find here, and it works great! People Look at me weird when i mention i make my laundry soap at home, but when i tell them how much i pay per load they want the recipe!
:coolsun

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tried it on my four loads of clothes and yep, it got it clean! Smelled good too!

Now its up to us to wear them and see if they produce static LOL!

I could not believe how dirty the water was when it was going thru the first spin cycle while other times, store bought detergents didnt nearly get that dirty of a water coming out! Noticed that my daughter's mistakes came out really clean out of her underwears!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I tried the laundry soap on three loads today, and boy am I impressed! The smelled great - not perfumey and came off the clothesline softer. I had to use Ivory soap since I couldn't find the Fels Naptha or Zote.

I also did the dishwasher detergent on 2 loads today. The first load had a white film left, but I think that may have been from the grater that I use for the Ivory soap. It just wiped right off with a towel. The second is running now.

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I ordered my kit, and it arrived a couple of days ago. I followed the directions for mixing liquid soap, and lo and behold - it worked! :D Although I must not have added enough water, because it's really more like a gel than a liquid. But I'm not complaining about that, a gel is less messy. My clothes are quite clean and smell great, so I'm endorsing home made laundry soap for sure! :weee

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Actually, I think that the liquid is suppose to be more of a gel. I have only ever made the powdered form, but someone who makes the liquid form told me its a thicker consistency, more like a gel, so you probably made it just right!
Happy washing.:)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, I made the liquid kind a few years ago and it was a thick gel.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have made the gel before, and yesterday I made the powder.

Today I get to try it out. I tripled the recipe, and stored it in a big ole pickle jar. Tied a ribbon around it and made a homemade label to make it pretty, and now its sitting on my dryer (that never gets used) My estimations are it should last me about 1/2 a year-to a year. Needless to say I hope i like it :D

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like your idea of tying a ribbon and a pretty label! I'll have to do that! More appealing!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly I despise doing laundry
so much!
when Tony works the hogs, a load by iteself, any other farm we do, loads, then change to normal work stuff, then to good stuff for public...UGH--I do tons of laundry and I despise every minute.

BUT my friend said, to relieve stress, think of laundry as a fun time..what??--HA HA--I can't do it..HA HA

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
BUT my friend said, to relieve stress, think of laundry as a fun time..what??--HA HA--I can't do it..HA HA
lol... is that an "I'm going madly insane" laugh? :gig

laundry, FUN? :lol:

Yes, i despise laundry as well. It NEVER ends here. You can start to get caught up... but then it just doesn't ever happen!