Home made......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no kidding but my biscuits come out like hockey pucks! I try, oh yes I have tried....who knows!

I had a recipe for sweet potatoe biscuits. Super easy to make and yes, Tony and his parents ate them up, but I tried a bite and they were soooo heavy. Even with mediocre quality that family sure can eat!!!!! They never say no to a biscuit.

Anyone have a key to why the biscuits are always so heavy? I can't seem to achieve the light and fluffy! What is it, should I use less flour, more buttermilk, less b-milk more lard????? I just don't know..LOL

Is there a secert out there??? Someone fess up!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I am not chasing you around the site. But yes I think I might be able to answer you....My brother made a batch of bisquits. They were heavy, heavy. My mom said it was because he kept kneading them. She told him to quit but he (know it all that he is) just kept on kneading. :he

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would also guess that is the problem. The key to light-fluffy biscuits is to handle them as little as possible.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...I think so also. My mom also has a recipe, that my aunt gave her, we always called "funky biscuits" that used yeast in the mix. They were like a cross between biscuits and homemade bread....wonderful!

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My 95 year old Me'me still makes milk toast when she dosent feel well...(i dont know how it helps..lol..but...), she scalds some milk and butter and alot of pepper on the stove...and pours it over some warm toast...:idunno....old vermonter recipe i guess...:)..

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Vinegar Rolls! they look just like cinnamon rolls but with Apple Cider Vinegar...I have to get my mom's recipe! They are tart and bitey and I love them!

She made cocoa from scratch too.

and peanut butter candies..yum!!

And in the winter, during a heavy snow fall, my mom would put a clean bowl out and catch a huge bowl of snow. Then we would make snow ice cream with snow, milk, sugar, and vanilla flavoring! We kids loved it!!
My mother told me about doing that as a child in the winters...they used maple syrup though...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
redhen said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Vinegar Rolls! they look just like cinnamon rolls but with Apple Cider Vinegar...I have to get my mom's recipe! They are tart and bitey and I love them!

She made cocoa from scratch too.

and peanut butter candies..yum!!

And in the winter, during a heavy snow fall, my mom would put a clean bowl out and catch a huge bowl of snow. Then we would make snow ice cream with snow, milk, sugar, and vanilla flavoring! We kids loved it!!
My mother told me about doing that as a child in the winters...they used maple syrup though...
I read about doing that in the Little House Books. I've never tried it. I should do this with my son this winter!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Ahhhh....snow cream. That is a delight. Haven't made it in a long time, though. Mayfields, a dairy that was started here, makes snow cream pops and ice cream. It really tastes like the real thing!!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I HATE snow, but when we have a big one, I try to eat my way through it. I love snow cream.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
I HATE snow, but when we have a big one, I try to eat my way through it. I love snow cream.
:gig
well I have been gorging myself on hot cocoa. Home made of course. :D