Home made......

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dh thinks I'm nuts, but I will take a piece of bread and spread a thin layer od coney sauce and top with cheesee and eat it hot or cold. Yummy both ways.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my mother in law just told me since they were poor back then, her mom used to make apple pie with bread as the crust.....

she said it was delish! I am sure back when things were hard anything "special" was delish.

anyone ever heard of using bread as a crust for a pie?????

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually I have heard of it, my dad told me about it. He came from a family of 12 - not including parents. Of course I never knew that grandma that well so I have no idea the recipe.
BUT I will tell you that if you take a hobo sandwich maker and put some apple pie filling in it, when you cook it over the fire it tastes mighty fine. :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
anyone ever heard of using bread as a crust for a pie?????
Haven't heard of bread but have heard of using rice.

I have been making crustless quiches lately and they taste great!

We picked up a CuisineArt Ice Cream Maker at a yardsale a few weekends ago and made vanilla ice cream in it last night......SOOO GOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a hobo sandwich maker? I never heard of that...is it one of the iron type vice grip things...LOL...best way I can describe it! :)

I never heard of rice as a pie crust either. People sure were inventive back then...I don't do alot of experimenting with food..LOL...lazy cook here. :) And congrats on finding a good deal on the ice cream maker...yummo the vanilla fresh ice cream is wonderful! I hate to say thou that Tony's aunt makes the worst, always has like big icey crystals in it, I don't know why...but I have tasted others and when it is creamy like it is great!

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do not consider myself a good cook, but my children and their friends, my fiance and his friends, my sisters and brothers would say otherwise! ( I will not cook for anyone else).

I can't cook by recipe, so I read the recipe and go by the old method, and try made up homescratch (whatever we have, or whatever I feel like cooking).

One of my sisters and one of my brothers do have me beat - they cook by recipe, old method, and made up homescratch.

Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa (Desert - 1 cup fruit -canned, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar - mix all up in a bake-able container and bake until top is golden brown.) My sister who cannot cook told me this one.

I only cook because I have to - I kinda hate to cook.

Edited to add - I hate to cook for the Holidays - tried that in 2003 and won't be doing that for a really long time! Way too stessful for me as I can't stand alot of people inside my house.

My sis and bro mentioned above love to show off their cooking skills, loving every minute of it, flip-flopping Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.

They both have our mom's stuffing recipe memorized - it's not the same without her recipe!

I bought some popcorn (glass jar) and showed my three youngest children how we popped popcorn, LOL, they never knew any other way other than microwaveable popcorn.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Yes...I could...but I probably won't! <Evil grin while rubbing hands together and chuckling madly>

I'll observe her closely...that's one of the reasons I invited her to bake while she is here. I'll write it down and pass it over. She also makes the most beautiful, flaky, fluffy biscuits....looks just like the ones on the flour bags! Hmmmmmmmm.....wonder if she can whip up some biscuits while she's here... :love

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vice grip things, LOL :lol:, well put farmerchick. Yes, only the ones you get in the store nowadays are kinda flimsy compared to my fathers.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Vinegar Rolls! they look just like cinnamon rolls but with Apple Cider Vinegar...I have to get my mom's recipe! They are tart and bitey and I love them!

She made cocoa from scratch too.

and peanut butter candies..yum!!

And in the winter, during a heavy snow fall, my mom would put a clean bowl out and catch a huge bowl of snow. Then we would make snow ice cream with snow, milk, sugar, and vanilla flavoring! We kids loved it!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) MMMM vinegar rolls, never had them but they sound good.

Country freedom, I can sympathize with you on the people in the house. I love to have people over for dinners and holidays, cookouts, but when I think it is time for people to go home, then they need TO GO. Hubby just doesnt like people in the house, so he says.

Beekissed, beekissed, beekissed, shame on you, <she says as she shakes her hanging head>

Latest posts