Home made......

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D My mother used to make camp stew. I reminded her of that the other day. SO, we made some......mMMMMMM good and filling.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HA HA I do not know what a slaw dog is either....
ams3651, LOL, give me a cake mix and I can do anything with it.
Potterwatch, I agree. But I think if you wanted to just try something different then open a can of chili without beans and put onto your hotdog, around here that is basically what a coney dog is. I know someone is going to yell at me for that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom used to own a restuarant and did all her own cooking and baking, back in the early 70's. Her food was legendary and truck drivers would change their routes to eat there. Yes, it was that good!

Well, she has been a vegetarian for many years now and she doesn't cook any of that "bad for you" food anymore...which nearly everything is bad for you in her book(I would have to agree most of the time). So, she is coming for a visit this weekend and I've begged her to make me a blackberry cobbler like she used to make and she has agreed!

Now I have to go and buy some shortening...I can't even begin to tell you how long its been since I bought shortening...probably 22 years! I can't wait to eat Mom's pie again...that flakey, thick crust with just the right amount of juice soaked into the inner layers....topped with vanilla icecream.... <droooooooool>! :p Too bad they don't make ice cream that tastes like it used to taste...that would be the best!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My mom used to own a restuarant and did all her own cooking and baking, back in the early 70's. Her food was legendary and truck drivers would change their routes to eat there. Yes, it was that good!

Well, she has been a vegetarian for many years now and she doesn't cook any of that "bad for you" food anymore...which nearly everything is bad for you in her book(I would have to agree most of the time). So, she is coming for a visit this weekend and I've begged her to make me a blackberry cobbler like she used to make and she has agreed!

Now I have to go and buy some shortening...I can't even begin to tell you how long its been since I bought shortening...probably 22 years! I can't wait to eat Mom's pie again...that flakey, thick crust with just the right amount of juice soaked into the inner layers....topped with vanilla icecream.... <droooooooool>! :p Too bad they don't make ice cream that tastes like it used to taste...that would be the best!
DID YOU READ MY "UNABLE TO MAKE PIE CRUST POST?" rub it in somemore, just keep rubbing it in

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my you all made me so hungry.....

I think growing up in a large family like I did we ate whatever my Mom made. And we liked it. There are a few things I remember though, one was Sweet and sour cabbage rolls. No tomato sauce. Rice hamburger etc.. I have never been able to find a receipe for them. She is still alive but has not made them in so long she can't remember. She gives me this "maybe brown sugar and vinegar" line. Now I will have to look for it again.

I have had, kraut dogs, chili dogs, ketchup and must dogs but have never heard of a Dog Sauce. Mybe it's an east coast thing. Sure sounds good though.

I keep butter flavored crisco on hand especially for my pot pie crust. It makes all the difference.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed, I need to buy some shortening as well. I've been trying to make more of our stuff from scratch the last week or two rather than using mixes. I had to use margarine for my biscuits rather than shortening... big difference!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love making pie crusts. I find it to be very relaxing - just like kneading bread.
My mom hated it and used a recipe that you didn't roll. You just mixed the ingredients and pressed it into the pie plate.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sorry, Roosmom! I didn't read that particular post about pie crust! :p :bouquet I'll write and tell you how it was.... :D

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
beekissed,
maybe you could get your mom's pie crust recipe and post it for all of us. ;)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
coopy said:
beekissed,
maybe you could get your mom's pie crust recipe and post it for all of us. ;)
We need a smiley with horns......
BEEKISSED :D you could always make them, freez'em and then send them to us!