Home popped corn

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I finally bought a bag of popcorn kernels, since I've learned that you only need a pot with a lid and not some silly fancy machine. So, I picked some up, put some butter and sea salt into a pot and lined the bottom with kernels. Voila! Popcorn! Unfortunately, it was incredibly bland. Do I need to add more butter (there was enough to coat the kernels and line the bottom) or what? I wanted to make bacon popcorn, but not if I need to use a pound of bacon grease to make a small batch of popcorn! Any other popcorn recipes or ideas? I was thinking about butterscotch popcorn, or adding cocoa powder to it, lol.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My favorite is to simply sprinkle some romano or parmesan cheese onto buttered popcorn.

I also love "pizza popcorn," which is very easy. Just add some powdered oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper to some butter, melt it all together, and toss the popcorn with it. Then top with parm or romano cheese. Mmmmm!

I like my air popper because then I can add more butter! When using a pan, I usually use oil to pop it, because I invariably burn the butter. Think in terms of about a half cup total, butter and/or oil, for a half cup of unpopped corn. That's how I do it, anyways.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, no wonder it was so bland! I was using just barely enough to coat everything! As far as popping with oil then flavoring with butter, how would you manage that? I don't understand how you'd get it on without saturating some pieces and leaving others bland.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I pop in either cast iron or heavy revereware pan and use EVOO. I am not stingy with it either. I love it popped in olive oil for taste. I use sea salt, no butter, usually. Just a preference, no other reason.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use cast iron too, also oil to pop. But, I only use a tablespoon of oil for every handfull of kernels.
Melt the butter, then drizzle it on while tossing the popped corn and it will coat fairly evenly.
After I put the butter on, then I add my seasonings & shake while adding them too. Usually ends up fairly well coated. Although we do fight over the especially well coated bits :p
Nom nom nom :pop

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
What a timely question, I just started buying popcorn seeds rather than the microwave stuff (bad chemicals I've read) and have now been making it the way my mother had for decades.

I fill a large stock pot with a thin layer of peanut oil and a cup of seeds, let sizzle until the first pop, then cover and shake back and forth like a mad man with a jiffy pop addiction, when the pops slow down to just a few remove from heat immediately and pour into a brown paper grocery bag (i save mine just for this) I will already have a coffee cup with about 1/2 cup melted butter in the microwave, pour the butter into the bag with a bit of salt and wind shut - shake it violently until the whole bag becomes translucent with butter oil - there is none better.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, the way I do it is this: I use either oil or saved meat fat (bacon is best) to make a thin coat of oil on the bottom of the pan. Add enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan, put the lid on and start shaking. You know that drill.

At the same time, I melt however much butter I want in the microwave. I quickly dribble about 1/3 of the butter on the corn, shake the bowl around and repeat twice. Then I add whatever seasonings I am going to use (bacon salt for example), and shake again. Yes, a couple of the kernels get more than others, but if you pick up a wet and and a dry at the same time, it all works out...

Reserved fat from a roast or the crock pot is good with steak seasoning and rosemary.

Sometimes I add bacon bits to the bacon popcorn. The kids like goldfish crackers, ranch dressing powder, etc.

Sometimes I add salt and white sugar to the popping oil to make kettle corn.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I use a hot air popper too. I've gotten used to the taste I guess. I melt some butter and drizzle it on when it's done, then sprinkle salt on. Maybe you just need to get used to the milder taste?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use my beloved WhirlyPop pan with just a dab of oil for the popping. Love that thing! :)

We season with garlic salt, Nature's Seasons, and other spicey seasonings, finish with some nutritional yeast.....tastes all spicey and cheesy when you do this. I tell you, it's darn near addictive! :drool