Home popped corn

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'd love an air-popper, but I don't make that much pop-corn.
(I have enough gadgets that I have no where to put them all)

I haven't caved in on the microwave thing, and have made corn on the stove a couple of times, just a spoon of oil and then a layer of corn...

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I use my beloved WhirlyPop pan with just a dab of oil for the popping. Love that thing! :)

We season with garlic salt, Nature's Seasons, and other spicey seasonings, finish with some nutritional yeast.....tastes all spicey and cheesy when you do this. I tell you, it's darn near addictive! :drool
What pray tell is a whiirlypop pan? I had a stircrazy popcorn maker but it took up too much kitchen real estate and went back to the stove top.

I will have to try different spices and such and maybe lay off the amount of butter, it sounds more gooder.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
xpc said:
Beekissed said:
I use my beloved WhirlyPop pan with just a dab of oil for the popping. Love that thing! :)

We season with garlic salt, Nature's Seasons, and other spicey seasonings, finish with some nutritional yeast.....tastes all spicey and cheesy when you do this. I tell you, it's darn near addictive! :drool
What pray tell is a whiirlypop pan? I had a stircrazy popcorn maker but it took up too much kitchen real estate and went back to the stove top.

I will have to try different spices and such and maybe lay off the amount of butter, it sounds more gooder.
:gig :gig

Kitchen real estate.... where can I get more of THAT?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's just a very lightweight aluminum pan with a lid and a crank handle attached to wires that sweep the bottom of the pan as you crank. Really pops most of the kernels and it pops very, very fast!

I just put the burner on high and have popcorn within a few minutes....no burnt popcorn.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It's just a very lightweight aluminum pan with a lid and a crank handle attached to wires that sweep the bottom of the pan as you crank. Really pops most of the kernels and it pops very, very fast!

I just put the burner on high and have popcorn within a few minutes....no burnt popcorn.
:D NEAT -= I went to amazon to see it... looks really nice, I might have to get one! If they come in stainless steel!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have two poppers! We love our popcorn here. My really high glycemic index vice....but lots of butter lowers the GI a bit! :D I have one of those electric poppers with a sort of hot plate with a wire that goes around and stirs the corn, and you invert a clear plastic vented bowl over it, then invert the whole think quickly when it is done. So easy.

I wouldn't use a paper bag and shake until translucent....think of all the butter you are losing! You can't lick the bowl after!!! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:

:D NEAT -= I went to amazon to see it... looks really nice, I might have to get one! If they come in stainless steel!
I don't think they do. I wish! I don't really like using aluminum and I have to wonder how much leaching one would get from that high and quick heating. But then, Jiffy Pop is encased in aluminum also...... microwave popcorn is supposed to be even worse than that, chemically speaking.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Wildsky said:
Beekissed said:

I don't think they do. I wish! I don't really like using aluminum and I have to wonder how much leaching one would get from that high and quick heating. But then, Jiffy Pop is encased in aluminum also...... microwave popcorn is supposed to be even worse than that, chemically speaking.
I found one, a few bucks more - I added to my cart, takes me a few looks before I decide to buy something.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay, my kids think it's gross, b/c of the tendency for the popcorn to get soggy, but I have perfected it.

I use an air popper, and as it is popping in the bowl, I have a spray bottle of vinegar. Key here is to have a fine mist of vinegar. As its popping, I spray to lightly coat with vinegar. When done, I sprinkle salt on it. Salt and vinegar. :)

I also like butter and salt or ranch seasoning, taco seasoning etc. I also make kettle corn, but obviously I can't use the air popper for that. for that, I use my wok, and you don't have to shake like a madman--you just kinda tilt up and down.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My stomach started growling from reading this thread :drool
I can't decide which kind I want more. I think freemotion's pizza corn sounds the most enticing, but just to be sure, I'll need to try them all.