Home popped corn

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'd like to try the sort of popcorn popper that can be used over the fire in a fireplace. I'm not sure if it is the same as the chestnut pan and/or interchangable. It has a very long handle and a cover with holes to release the steam.
Trapped moisture makes popcorn tough, from my experience.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My parents had one of those - it was sort of a wire mesh basket on a long handle. Ooh, I miss popcorn, haven't had any in years! DH grew up in Europe, and doesn't have a lot of the taste memories that we have in America - popcorn, peanut butter being two that come to mind. Popcorn isn't anything he craves, and it seems silly to make it just for me - but I think maybe I might just be feeling a little silly now! :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I'd like to try the sort of popcorn popper that can be used over the fire in a fireplace. I'm not sure if it is the same as the chestnut pan and/or interchangable. It has a very long handle and a cover with holes to release the steam.
Trapped moisture makes popcorn tough, from my experience.
I have one of these in the boat for when I forget the drain plug and it sinks, we all laugh while grappling for shore knowing that fresh popcorn is had.
CCP_popcorn_popper.jpg

True story except for the popcorn - beer coolers float you know - they all float.

633719708776216310-theyallfloatdownhere.jpg

Toilet corn is shuck one day then its shuck again.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
ORChick said:
DH grew up in Europe, and doesn't have a lot of the taste memories that we have in America - popcorn, peanut butter being two that come to mind. Popcorn isn't anything he craves, and it seems silly to make it just for me - but I think maybe I might just be feeling a little silly now! :lol:
Popcorn when made with a smidgen of butter and a tad of salt is one of the best snacks you can have - fish & chips aside that is.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
xpc said:
What a timely question, I just started buying popcorn seeds rather than the microwave stuff (bad chemicals I've read) and have now been making it the way my mother had for decades.

I fill a large stock pot with a thin layer of peanut oil and a cup of seeds, let sizzle until the first pop, then cover and shake back and forth like a mad man with a jiffy pop addiction, when the pops slow down to just a few remove from heat immediately and pour into a brown paper grocery bag (i save mine just for this) I will already have a coffee cup with about 1/2 cup melted butter in the microwave, pour the butter into the bag with a bit of salt and wind shut - shake it violently until the whole bag becomes translucent with butter oil - there is none better.
This is exactly how I make my popcorn, except that I use seasoned salt instead of plain... so salt, red pepper, garlic and onion powder. mmmm.... maybe I'll go make some popcorn for breakfast. :thumbsup

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
xpc said:
What a timely question, I just started buying popcorn seeds rather than the microwave stuff (bad chemicals I've read) and have now been making it the way my mother had for decades.

I fill a large stock pot with a thin layer of peanut oil and a cup of seeds, let sizzle until the first pop, then cover and shake back and forth like a mad man with a jiffy pop addiction, when the pops slow down to just a few remove from heat immediately and pour into a brown paper grocery bag (i save mine just for this) I will already have a coffee cup with about 1/2 cup melted butter in the microwave, pour the butter into the bag with a bit of salt and wind shut - shake it violently until the whole bag becomes translucent with butter oil - there is none better.
This is exactly how I make my popcorn, except that I use seasoned salt instead of plain... so salt, red pepper, garlic and onion powder. mmmm.... maybe I'll go make some popcorn for breakfast. :thumbsup
I guess I'm the only one who does the same old boring salt and butter - tonight I am adding garlic and chili powder.

p.s. - hwillm1977, watch out for that big mouth avatar dog or it will eat the whole bowl. We don't call him big head for nothing.

bighead.jpg

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
That is a great photo xpc! :)
now that we are friends you can call me kfc

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
lol

Everytime I see your bucket of chicken, I get hungry. :p

Fried chicken is my downfall. :/

Anyone here pop blue corn?
I saw some blackish blue corn the other day when I bought regular corn, thought about buying some but it said gourmet and had twice the price on it.

I may pick some up when I go into town for a bucket of extra crispy - 8 piece is only $3.99, you get one of everything except for the head. Back in my prime I would battle for a turkey neck.