Home popped corn

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Fried chicken is my downfall. :/
Popcorn chicken and gravy is my downfall...

I found a copycat recipe online so I'm going to attempt to make my own popcorn chicken instead of paying KFC for it...

8 pieces is only 3.99? That's closer to $13 here... I know 15 pieces is $24.99...

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
big brown horse said:
Fried chicken is my downfall. :/
Popcorn chicken and gravy is my downfall...

I found a copycat recipe online so I'm going to attempt to make my own popcorn chicken instead of paying KFC for it...

8 pieces is only 3.99? That's closer to $13 here... I know 15 pieces is $24.99...
Yeppers, for Thanksgiving I got a 16 piece for $7.98. it is not from KFC they be too $ my local food giant has better broasted then the Colonel for much cheaper (sorry Harland).

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I'm so glad there is no KFC around here to tempt me!
Don't you have tuna around there? I hear that's chicken of the sea.

big brown horse said:
Am I right that all blue corn hasn't been gmo-ed?
I just looked it up and is the same stuff i saw in the store the other day and will have to buy a small bag next week, it seems most I saw was organic, but is it all?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
xpc said:
I have one of these in the boat for when I forget the drain plug and it sinks, we all laugh while grappling for shore knowing that fresh popcorn is had.
http://docs.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/CCP_popcorn_popper.jpg
True story except for the popcorn - beer coolers float you know - they all float.
That is the exact popper that I have in mind! Thanks for posting the pic, XPC/KFC!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just found this in our local grocery store:
http://littlepops.com/about.html
It's grown right here in CT just a few towns north of me. It wasn't cheap but I felt good buying it. AND it tastes really good.
I am another fan of just salt and butter, a little of each. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mmm. Right now, gorging on popcorn again. No butter, so I used approximately half grapeseed oil and half olive oil. Put montreal steak seasoning on it (could just do salt and pepper really), a bunch of salt (sometimes I just need a good pound or two of salt, lol) and some parmeasan cheese on it. Not too bad. Steak and cheese popcorn! :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just finished (finally) removing all the kernels from the last ear of popcorn, whew. We grew strawberry corn, an organic yellow corn and white Japanese hull-less popcorn.
Now I am ready to get popping, especially after reading this.
I usually put melted butter, garlic salt and Parmesan cheese on my popcorn. Now I have a whole bunch of new things to try :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How do you get the kernels off? That problem has prevented me from planting popcorn again!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
How do you get the kernels off? That problem has prevented me from planting popcorn again!
I never thought about growing popcorn as $5 worth will last me a year from the store and would think shaving the cob like any other corn would be the same. But how do you make sure of having the right water content so it pops is my question?