Home popped corn

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just make sure it is good and dry, usually by storing it in the house for a while. Then I just rub the kernels off with my fingers. Sometimes I use a tool like a bottle opener to get the kernels started, when my fingers can't get them loose. It kind of messes my fingers up, and I could wear gloves, but I just do it while watching tv.
I like growing my own, because that way I know they are organic, they are fresh and they taste better and I can use the extra for my chickens and the rabbit. Or I can grind it up and make corn meal or corn flour.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I think I will plant some this year, any hazards of planting near other corn?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
There is the chance of cross pollination, if you plant different corn together.
Another words if you plant yellow corn next to white corn, some of your corn in this years crop will be have yellow and white kernels.

I would assume that that would be the same for planting pop corn close to sweet corn. But if the "bloom" time is different, than you would avoid that cross pollination.
I find that the cross pollination (in our sweet corn) only affects a few cobs of corn that are right next to each other.

I didn't have that problem with the strawberry corn mixing with the white pop corn I had planted next to it, but the white popcorn did mix with the yellow popcorn. I think the strawberry popcorn tasseled at a different time than the rest of the corn.

Popcorn takes a bit longer to grow, since it needs to dry on the stalk.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I kinda thought and will plant on the other side of the yard.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sometimes make kettle corn with 1/4 cup oil, 1/4+cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup popcorn kernels. Put in three kernels, wait until they all have popped, then add the rest, cover, and shake the pan for a few seconds then put it on the heat for a few seconds until most are popped. This way they don't scorch.

If I'm lazy I put 1/4 cup kernels into a paper lunch sack, tape shut with masking tape, then microwave. Yes, I use the evil machine. Anyway, I'm boring. I only put salt and butter on mine. I've tried all the other seasonings and cheeses and such, but I always wish I'd just left it alone. Kettle corn doesn't count. :lol: