Homemade Deodorant

vclark321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I used 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup of cornstarch, 6 tablespoons of coconut oil (it is solid at room temp) essential oil of choice +1 drop at a time til it smelled good. I melted the coconut oil and mixed in the rest. I let it solidify and used an old, washed deoderant container and mashed it in and it works just like the store bought stuff and I am very happy with the way it works! Although next time I will add some vitamin E for the antioxidants. It is so nice to make it yourself and save that money! Very gratifying! Good luck!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
While your oil is still liquid you can pour the mixture into your deodorant container, instead of mashing it in. Those that I have dealt with will all allow this without leaking, but you might want to put it on a plate or something the first time you do this.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ORChick said:
While your oil is still liquid you can pour the mixture into your deodorant container, instead of mashing it in. Those that I have dealt with will all allow this without leaking, but you might want to put it on a plate or something the first time you do this.
And no problem with the powder separating out? Thanks :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ORChick said:
And no problem with the powder separating out? Thanks :)
Oops, sorry; yes, that might be a problem. I've never made my own, only melted and re-poured the ends of commercial deos. I hate wasting that last little bit, and find that saving up the ends of 5 or 6 will give me a new stick.