Homemade Glass Cleaner recipes

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am beginning to explore homemade cleaning products. I want to start with glass cleaner. I use it a lot and it seems like a logical place to start.

I'm currently collecting orange peels to make orange-infused vinegar to use in cleaner recipes.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
my favorite is just plain old cornstarch and water. Just put enough water to make a thin paste and wipe it on and then when it is dry just wipe with a cloth no streaks and does a lovely job on a film build-up

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of the cornstarch and water trick....Cool!

I'll bet orange infused vinegar smells good. Ya'll are inspiring me!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
oh cool! I'd never heard of the cornstarch either! sounds so easy! And cheaper than what I'm looking at. 1 part water, 1 part vinegar, 1 part vodka. infused vinegar and essential oils if desired.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just use white vinegar. Vinegar is the best for cleaning vehicle windows. Just make sure you air it for a few minutes when done. Or leave it and it will dissipate after a while and take some of the other smells with it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found that vinegar worked the best on car windows, wiped dry with newspaper. The ink in the newsprint colors the film and makes it easier to see what you might have missed.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My last post disappeared:

Dish washer soap: 1/4 C LemiShine, 1 C baking soda. I keep these mixed in a small jar. When it's time to wash dishes, I put a Tbsp or so in the soap dispenser along with a few drops of liquid dawn. Works as well as any commercial product.

Home made laundry detergent: https://www.hunker.com/12004010/homemade-laundry-soap-with-fels-naptha

This is a non sudsing cleaner. Great for HE washers. It also works well as a tub cleaner.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My wife does orange peels and white vinegar. Its great floor cleaner.

DH was impressed with this idea. His comment: I think God "knocked it out of the park" when He designed citrus fruit. You can eat it, and you can clean with it. I might add: citrus is also a dandy bug repellent!

I have a little mini crock potpourri pot that I add some orange peel, citrus peel, cloves and cinnamon to. Smells heavenly. I also do the same on top of the wood stove. Apple peel works good in a fresh potpourri as well.