homemade laundry detergent/shampoo

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Quick question: I want to make my laundry stuff, but can't find the ingredients. Just found, on drugstore.com, Borax for $10 a box and washing soda for $6.50 a box, and Colgate laundry bar soap for $2/bar. They have free shipping on orders over $25. Is this reasonable or outrageous pricing? I have no idea.....
I went today and bought the stuff for my 1st batch i got everything at Walmart for less then $10 that was washing powder, felps naptha soap, & borax these are pretty large boxes that even included a small bottle of esstial oil (im going to try and add a scent to it) so that is really high. check your local stores close cause i walked past it at least 5 times today and then had to ask for help.

FORGIVE MY SPELLING IT STINKS!!!
Michelle

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YOu can find the washing soda at a pool supplier if you have one near you. Yeah, doesn't make much sense to make your own laundry detergent if the ingredients are pricey and hard to come by.

Go to the manager of the local store you deal with and request that they order you some A&H washing soda~and be specific about washing, not baking! They will often oblige you!

My local hardware store didn't have the batteries that go to my dog's collars and I just mentioned it lightly once that I had to drive 25 miles to find them....the next time I went there, they had ordered them and they were $3 cheaper than at Radio Shack!!! :)

I just found out today that my local grocery store has the Fels Naptha for $1.29 a bar....and I had been traveling 24 miles away to an old country store and buying it for $1.79 because I didn't even think this little grocery store would even carry it! Duh!!! :he :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have some errands to do today, so I will ask at Walmart....if not, I will beg the manager at Big Y...I live within sight of that store, on my 4 acres, imagine that!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can you believe it? They had all three at the store closest to my house. And CHEAP!!! The borax boxes seemed old and dented, and the Fels Naptha was in the bath soap section!!! But the washing soda was fresh and new. I got two of everything so I can send a kit to my folks, retired and on a fixed income. In fact, I just might make up a couple more kits (grating the soap and measuring out the other ingredients, it is amazing what overwhelms some people) to spread the word and help keep the supplies in stock locally.

And maybe win someone else over to the dark side..... ;)

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so excited that you found all of the supplies! What a great idea - to make kits! :clap I never thought of that , but I think I will do it for a friend . .she is on the fence . . lol ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The kit would look really cute in a canning jar, but I am not willing to give any up!!!! :plbb

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
never mind :) I posted to the wrong question :D Long day!
That's alright - we all understand! :D

cackleberries

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
OkieJonesClan said:
I am so excited that you found all of the supplies! What a great idea - to make kits! :clap I never thought of that , but I think I will do it for a friend . .she is on the fence . . lol ;)
Totally cool idea im going to do a kit for my mom lol she thinks im crazy with all this SS stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Already got my mom and sis hooked on the stuff and some ladies at church want to pay me to make soap up for them! :rolleyes: