Homemade soda .... healthier versions

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I already have a big wine making project going on, but I will definately try this soon!:th

1806_100_0393.jpg

Apple from Bee's trees and Mixed berry from cleaning out the freezer.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. Licorice soda?! I wish I had the supplies darn it! The boyfriend's cousin has been making beer, but I rarely talk to him anymore (used to go to school with him). I'll have to figure out exactly where in the heck he got his stuff and eventually see what it'll cost, lol.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in for the gingerale. I would really like to try the fruity flavours, but the fruit I picked this past summer is too valuable for soda. Unless you could do apples or pears. I'll have to look into that.

I love rootbeer, but where woudl I get the roots to make it. The only one I know of growing around here is burdock. I wonder if you could use dandelion.

anyways, sometime in the next week or two, I am going to try the gingerale. I just need to find another gallon size jar. I have three being used for kombucha.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rootbeer extract? I never really thought about rootbeer and what it was made of. I didn't realise you could make it from any roots, I always assumed it was one specific plant.

I wonder, for the licorice-rootbeer, I wonder if I could just use the extracts for both instead of all the roots? Sure would beat digging up frozen ground. :/

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Rootbeer extract? I never really thought about rootbeer and what it was made of. I didn't realise you could make it from any roots, I always assumed it was one specific plant.

I wonder, for the licorice-rootbeer, I wonder if I could just use the extracts for both instead of all the roots? Sure would beat digging up frozen ground. :/
It used to be made from sassafras roots but the FDA pulled it and instead you have to use the extract. There's some kinda toxin in it and the extract has had that toxin removed.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect quite this much enthusiasm! I will make something tomorrow...just got home from work, and have to get up early to teach tomorrow morning. I did get some supplies tonight on the way home. I got some plastic two liter bottles from someone who has a bunch of young adult kids living at home...she is a healthy eater, but I knew she'd have some bottles in her recycle bin, and sure enough! I took four. I don't want to use the same one more than a couple of times.

I also got some frozen grape juice and some frozen orange juice. I want to try ginger ale again (have the ingredients) and I love the idea of cream soda! Mix that with orange and you have an orange creamsicle! Yummm!!

Root beer can be made with the bark of sassafras root. I am not concerned with safrole if used as an occasional treat or medicinally. A thorough google search will help you feel more confident about using it. If you drink large amounts daily, yes, it could be a problem. But like I always say....variety in the diet is best. I'll make sassafras root beer if I can get enough roots. This is a good time of year to get them. The bark from the smaller roots is best, so there is no need to kill a tree. Pruning roots a bit will cause no problems at all for the plant.

Remember, this is easier than wine. You don't need any special equipment like airlocks and hydrometers. I'll use the hydrometer because I have it and I want to experiment with low-sugar soda, and it is a way of measuring the sugar in juices. But you don't need it.

You need a bottle, the ingredients, and either whey for lactofermented versions or champagne yeast for the quick yeast versions. I can get a packet of champagne yeast, enough to do 4-5 gallons, for less than a buck. Then you need glass bottles to transfer it to...or just leave it in the two liter bottle. That is my plan at first. After losing so much in the snow that first time. :rolleyes:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow, I didn't expect quite this much enthusiasm! I will make something tomorrow...just got home from work, and have to get up early to teach tomorrow morning. I did get some supplies tonight on the way home. I got some plastic two liter bottles from someone who has a bunch of young adult kids living at home...she is a healthy eater, but I knew she'd have some bottles in her recycle bin, and sure enough! I took four. I don't want to use the same one more than a couple of times.

I also got some frozen grape juice and some frozen orange juice. I want to try ginger ale again (have the ingredients) and I love the idea of cream soda! Mix that with orange and you have an orange creamsicle! Yummm!!
Root beer can be made with the bark of sassafras root. I am not concerned with safrole if used as an occasional treat or medicinally. A thorough google search will help you feel more confident about using it. If you drink large amounts daily, yes, it could be a problem. But like I always say....variety in the diet is best. I'll make sassafras root beer if I can get enough roots. This is a good time of year to get them. The bark from the smaller roots is best, so there is no need to kill a tree. Pruning roots a bit will cause no problems at all for the plant.

Remember, this is easier than wine. You don't need any special equipment like airlocks and hydrometers. I'll use the hydrometer because I have it and I want to experiment with low-sugar soda, and it is a way of measuring the sugar in juices. But you don't need it.

You need a bottle, the ingredients, and either whey for lactofermented versions or champagne yeast for the quick yeast versions. I can get a packet of champagne yeast, enough to do 4-5 gallons, for less than a buck. Then you need glass bottles to transfer it to...or just leave it in the two liter bottle. That is my plan at first. After losing so much in the snow that first time. :rolleyes:
:th :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Making soda tonight.....oooooo, what flavor will it be????? Grape? Orange? Cream? Ginger???

All four???? Break out the fat jeans!! :D

Latest posts