Homemade soda .... healthier versions

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we tried creamsoda (all you need is vanillia sugar and yeast) last winter it turned out nice and bubbly but the kids didn't like the yeast taste... no where around here sales champaigne yeast so we used bread yeast... I want to try it again soon but try the same recipe with less yeast and see if that will help with the flavor some..

I did purchase a few flavors at our local amish store they had rootbeer and cherry... going to try those soon and see if that makes a difference...

I had hubby save me his plastic budlight bottles (or should I say I bought him the plastic ones for a few weeks LOL) so I can try the soda in individual bottles once I get the recipe down...

I think I may go try to make some tonight!

This is one of my FAVORITE sites loads of info about SS stuff... but here is his recipe for gingerale
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Ginger_Ale_Ag0.htm

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I read on one of the sites posted that if you refrigerate if for a couple of days, then pour it very carefully so as not to disturb the yeast that has settled to the bottom, you can get rid of a lot of the yeasty flavor. I'll let you know....

I made a batch of grape soda using a can of frozen purple grape juice concentrate, water, and about 1/6-1/4 tsp champagne yeast. I filled the two liter bottle up with water, so the grape juice is diluted more than the directions on the can suggest, but not half and half like the MEN recipes suggest.

I made orange with a can of orange juice concentrate made full-strength, same amount of yeast as above, and the juice of one fresh lemon. Couldn't find a recipe that I had the ingredients for, so I made it this way. I suspect it will be a little weak without any orange zest.

I have the stuff to make ginger ale and cream (vanilla, really) soda. Maybe tomorrow.

I didn't add any sugar to the above two batches, so I hope there is enough in the juices to get the yeast going enough. It works for wine, so it should be ok. We will see! Can't wait! I do want to make the cream soda in case the orange is good, then I'll mix them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My soda bottles are scaring me!! :p They are both already very tight, and the orange is visibly expanding.....I added no sugar to either. Yikes! :lol:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I've got 8 bottles of Honey Ginger in the pantry! :D I decided to be alittle daring and use glass bottles. It smelled good when I put it in the bottles and the pot definatly had some bubbly fizzyness going on. Fingers crossed for a good return! They should go into the fridge tonight and I will open one probally Tuesday ( it says wait a few days).

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could probably get away with siphoning off the bottom with an airline hose as well. Less chance to disturb it by picking it up. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
You could probably get away with siphoning off the bottom with an airline hose as well. Less chance to disturb it by picking it up. :)
But, how many people work for an airline, and could get the hose? :hide

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah I read that natural ingredients will fiz up faster so as soon as the bottle is tight I would refrigerate it...

still didn't get my soda started cause hubby tossed out the 2litter bottle I was saving to make it in... :smack

Kiddo's emptied out a milk jug this morning so I may try it in there... when it's done I'm going to let it sit a few days in the fridge and see if that helps...

I have some grapefruits in the kitchen that are getting old might try to turn them into soda and see what it's like...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Grapefruit soda....Fresca without the chemicals, right?

I would think that a good fizz would blow the top right off a milk bottle....on that note, I'm off to refrigerate my orange soda! :hide

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Grapefruit soda....Fresca without the chemicals, right?

I would think that a good fizz would blow the top right off a milk bottle....on that note, I'm off to refrigerate my orange soda! :hide
well that's why I left the sides caved in a tad so it has some give to the jug... and let's hope your theory isn't right or I'll be cleaning up a sticky mess in a few days... Rootbeer is brewing in the jug as we speak! :gig :celebrate

Grapefruit needs to wait a day till the kids empty another jug! LOL... hey kids who wants a big glass of chocolate milk.... HAHAHA

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Bettacreek said:
But, how many people work for an airline, and could get the hose? :hide
Lol. I have some laying around from fish tanks. But one could get some at Walmart in the fish section for $2.76 (or whatever it is now, it's been a good two years since I bought any) or get some from any home improvement store. Just get some flexible tubing, or maybe even connect some straws?

Latest posts