Homemade soda .... healthier versions

ViciousFishes

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Our one addiction is soda so the $200 initial investment in a CO2 tank and regulator to bottle our own was a no brainer. A 20# cylinder will carbonate hundreds of gallons of water. Orange, lemon, lime, raspberry, cherry, or vanilla extracts and a teaspoon or two of sugar make a great treat. Not the 8-12 teaspoons of sugar in store bought soda. Plus no bottles or cans to recycle and no carbon emissions from hauling those pallets of soda from the bottler to the store. An all around win.

This guy has all the data you could want, and shows how to do it as inexpensively at possible. http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm

Tom

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, that sounds interesting....can you use it to carbonate juices?

Hey, anyone know when I can/should taste my soda? It has only been two days, one at warm room temp and one in the fridge. The orange has already settled down a bit, there is no longer a big raft of foam at the top. DH is itching to try it.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
freemotion said:

Hey, anyone know when I can/should taste my soda? It has only been two days, one at warm room temp and one in the fridge. The orange has already settled down a bit, there is no longer a big raft of foam at the top. DH is itching to try it.
The instructions say set it at room temp for 24 hours after bottling and then put it in the fridge for 48 hours. Then drink. It's been 24 hours in the fridge with mine and I'm dying to try it. I might crack one open just to see the level of fizzyness and mabey taste. Hmmmm.......................

Oh never mind! YUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was bad! :lol: It had plenty of fizzyness, but as Zach describes, it tasted like fermented butt. :lol: We'er not doing that one again. Hehehe, I'm gonna try another recipe. That was a fun experiment though! I'm not giving up! :D

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found this... thought is was pretty cool... it makes a homemade co2 machine out of yeast and sugar and just puts the co2 in your drinks... (I think that's what it does anyhow...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoGalIrET4w

here is where you can purchase one... since it would eliminate the yeast taste I may consider getting this for the kiddos... they would love carbonated fruit juices! heck so would I! hahaha got to see how the most recent batch of pop turned out though... I used half of the yeast the recipe called for going to see if that helps fix the taste...

http://www.mypopsoda.com/PAGE5.html

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh wait I found another one!!! I so got to figure out how to do this... ROFL I can also so see me blowing up the kitchen but hey it will be fun... hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGeN5pARiE&feature=related

carbonate stuff instantly with baking soda and 2 bottles!

Found out where to buy it! much cheaper than the last one...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/c908/

you gals think something like this would work... I would be worried that the vinegar would leave a taste in your drink...

ok just found a video showing how to make one! man I love youtube! HAHAHA but dang it I have no tubing... got to wait to try this after my next trip to the store! :D Hopefully this will help with the fermented butt taste hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFM9ZpaqGM&feature=related

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
freemotion said:

The instructions say set it at room temp for 24 hours after bottling and then put it in the fridge for 48 hours. Then drink. It's been 24 hours in the fridge with mine and I'm dying to try it. I might crack one open just to see the level of fizzyness and mabey taste. Hmmmm.......................

Oh never mind! YUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was bad! :lol: It had plenty of fizzyness, but as Zach describes, it tasted like fermented butt. :lol: We'er not doing that one again. Hehehe, I'm gonna try another recipe. That was a fun experiment though! I'm not giving up! :D
You mean your 8 bottles of honey-ginger? Waaaaaah! I was hoping that would be good....but fermented butt....ewwww!

That is why you try new recipes ONE bottle at a time! :lol:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
freemotion said:
urban dreamer said:
freemotion said:

You mean your 8 bottles of honey-ginger? Waaaaaah! I was hoping that would be good....but fermented butt....ewwww!

That is why you try new recipes ONE bottle at a time! :lol:
Yea, we gonna do that! :lol:

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
oh wait I found another one!!! I so got to figure out how to do this... ROFL I can also so see me blowing up the kitchen but hey it will be fun... hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGeN5pARiE&feature=related

carbonate stuff instantly with baking soda and 2 bottles!

Found out where to buy it! much cheaper than the last one...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/c908/

you gals think something like this would work... I would be worried that the vinegar would leave a taste in your drink...

ok just found a video showing how to make one! man I love youtube! HAHAHA but dang it I have no tubing... got to wait to try this after my next trip to the store! :D Hopefully this will help with the fermented butt taste hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFM9ZpaqGM&feature=related
With baking soda, basically any acid will work. You could try citric acid instead of vinegar. You wouldn't need a whole lot of it. It is the stuff that goes on sour gummies though, so it might add something to the soda, but IMHO, I think it'd be a better chance than using vinegar...

I have half a batch of rootbeer black licorice (anise stars simmered down). It's been sitting all night and has the bubblies. I also used half of the yeast called for (actually 1/8th tsp and the recipe called for 1/4 to 1/2 tsp). Hopefully if I leave it out longer it'll work without as much yeasty taste. The recipe I used called to let it sit for 2-3 days though, not one day.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I had a grape kombucha (store bought) the other day that was absolutely delish! It really tasted like a lightly sweetened grape soda!

I am going to go back and re read this thread....

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
With baking soda, basically any acid will work. You could try citric acid instead of vinegar. You wouldn't need a whole lot of it. It is the stuff that goes on sour gummies though, so it might add something to the soda, but IMHO, I think it'd be a better chance than using vinegar...

I have half a batch of rootbeer black licorice (anise stars simmered down). It's been sitting all night and has the bubbles. I also used half of the yeast called for (actually 1/8th tsp and the recipe called for 1/4 to 1/2 tsp). Hopefully if I leave it out longer it'll work without as much yeasty taste. The recipe I used called to let it sit for 2-3 days though, not one day.
Never even thought I bet lemon juice will work... :) That's what I clean with when I'm going to be up close and scrubbing... vinegar is good to clean with when you can let it soak and walk away... hahaha

I did the rootbeer with half the yeast called for 1/8th tsp for a whole gallon recipe and it took almost 3 days but it swelled up and went into the fridge this morning... I'm going to let it sit for a while in there to see if letting it settles helps with the yeast taste.... :bun but so far less yeast will work! just hope it doesn't "grow" more yeast

I have some grapefruit lemon flavored brewing as well... I only had a half gallon container for it so I put 1/16th tsp of yeast and it's already bubbling!

Latest posts