Homemade soda .... healthier versions

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Was that the root beer you reported on Nov 17? You need the skull and crossbones sticky notes that I put on stuff so dh won't throw it away. Also, stern warnings that heads will roll if anyone touches this, etc.

Noobie, have you made the blackberry yet?

I can't wait to make this for guests. An entire home grown and homemade meal. It will have to be for a very special set of guests who will appreciate it. Or someone I can torment with it all... :D And snicker for weeks with dh....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did, this weekend! But it wasn't soda, it turned into beer!! :ep
I'm guessing I had really, really active yeast and it was warmer than I thought it would be.
But still darn tasty. Got 2 thumbs up from all the grownups.

I used a 2 liter bottle, a liter of sweetened blackberry juice (made leather from the pulp, once I got it deseeded) a half liter of water and about 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. I set it by the dehydrator where it was warm and left it for about 12 hours. Then into the fridge it went for 2 days.

It took all day yesterday to get it open without spewing all over everywhere, but it was well, well worth the wait. I'd crack the top slightly & let it hiss until it bubbled to the top, then seal it & gently put it back in the bottom of the fridge.

Slightly dry but still sweet, very mildly alcoholic and a to die for flavor. I WILL be doing this one again.

Next time, less yeast. :D

Soda.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooo, yum! I plan on making a youtube video this week if I can have a day with no technical difficulties! :rolleyes: I put one in the fridge this morning, and plan on starting one in two days so I can video the start of the process and the opening of the finished bottle.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we finally got an all time favorite from the kiddos! with no yeast taste!

secret is to use a VERY small amount of yeast... still works fine for carbonation... and no need to buy the expensive champagne yeast either!

most recipes called for 1/8th tsp of yeast... I used half of that! one cup sugar and then whatever you have handy for taste after that... whether it be rootbeer extract or the kiddos favorite... a few glugs of lemon juice a 1/4 tsp ginger with just a dash of vanilla added in!

I love how it holds the carbonation for a while as well! it lasted a full week with an opened bottle... store brand 2 liter looses the fiz after 2 days...

We also let it rest in the fridge for a full day... I think that helped the taste as well... This reminds me.... time for a new batch of soda! hahaha

anyone try koolaid soda? I think I may try that next... we have some sugar free koolaid... I bet if I added a little bit of sugar and a touch of yeast we could get some neat tasting stuff! I might try that next!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, I've discovered from my cheesemaking that some recipes call for 1/8 tsp only because that is the smallest measuring spoon in a standard set! :rolleyes: I got suspicious when making mold-ripened cheese....it was 1/8 tsp for a gallon batch and for a five gallon batch. Sheesh. How about a small pinch or a few grains. Like Grandma used to cook.

Some of the really old recipes say things like "the size of a pea" or "the size of an egg" for measurements. :p Love it!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh yeah I love old time recipes suggestions! I only break out the measuring spoons the first time or two I make something.... I actually bought a toy spoon set once that had down to a half a pinch measurements! needless to say I use it all the time! hahaha it's like 1/32 of a tsp... it went with a kids baking set so they could make single servings of cupcakes and such... sorta like an easybake oven...

but yeah as for the yeast very little is needed for soda... still only took about 2 days to put it in the fridge... the one with ginger and lemon bubbles up even faster!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
See, that's why I want one of these :D

I think I'm going to do the cream soda next, I luvs cream soda and haven't had one in months...
The cream soda is awesome. We have been making it now for a cupla weeks, --the kids love it and are not ready to request anohther flavour yet. Mine smells like beer when you open the bottle, but there is no yeasty flavour in the soda. My dd doesn't like things overly fizzy, and this suits her taste buds well, but yet is still fizzy enough for my son.

Now, I bought a bag of grapefruits that were on reduced, and I want to juice them and try toa make soda with them. so, would I just juice them add sugar and water and yeast? I know someone on here made it, although i think it was a bust.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did grapefruit soda with a few old grapefruits and it turned out great... just squeezed like 2 of them per 2liter jug and added a cup of sugar (since the grapefruit were really sour!) added just a touch of yeast and it turned out really Good!!! we love it!

Latest posts