Homemade soda .... healthier versions

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey all, I am just catching up. I didn't read this thread originally because I don't drink soda. But now I am making hard cider so I thought I would see what you all were up to.

Free how do you know your grape juice is not alcoholic??? Is it the brew time?? I watched a you tube video with an old guy. He was making all kinds of cider with 100 percent preservative free juice. So I guess your 2 day soda if left for a month could get really interesting.

Right now I have 2 very happy gallon jars on the counter. One has a air lock the other is just Saran wrap with a pin hole. Geesh why didn't I order more then one set up. Like a gallon of cider would be enough. :D

I have more plugs and air locks on order. :hide

The sodas sound interesting in flavor.

I ordered tubing, airlocks and bung hole thingys from Midwest Supply. They only cost a couple bucks. Not necessary I know but made things easier.

g

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
difference from soda to alcohol is brew time... when yeast eats the sugar it makes co2 (bubbles) and alcohol... the first few days if under pressure the bubbles build up in the brew with very little alcohol... you put this into the fridge for soda...

For cider... you let air escape and over time the yeast keeps eating turning all the sugar into alcohol the by product!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And also the temperature...you leave soda at room temp for a day then into the fridge, or as Sandor Katz calls it, the "fermentation slowing device!" Wine is left at 60-80 F for months to ferment, and a lot of the alcohol forms in the first few weeks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Twice this week I've put "soda" into the search to find this thread, and it says "no hits." What is up with that? When I change it to searching the message text and not just the title, it comes up. Hmmmph.

Anyhoo, dh and I just made a short video on making soda, and he will load it onto youtube tonight, or more likely, tomorrow! I am drinking some yummy pear/youngberry/stevia right now!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone see that new machine on tv commercial?

it carbonates water?

make your own fizzy soda or sparkling water at home?.....I only cause the very last bit of the commercial so I don't know anything about it.....but it caught my eye.

gonna search it on the net.....gotta see it now lol

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw that vid not too long ago. It was a sponsored video on youtube. Listed under a search for Susun Weed. Huh? Okaaay...

Talking about this one right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LjOdrpuvs

Weird, free. I get 10 results on topic subject only, but only for washing & baking soda... Weird...

I just favorite the threads I really don't want to misplace.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, someone posted about that earlier on this thread, too, but you are just making artificial crap at home....to me it's like making a recipe for cake or cookies using white flour, Crisco shortening, and HFCS. It is still processed even if it is made in your own kitchen. I'm looking for something that actually has some redeeming qualities.

Champagne yeast costs pennies to use, so our recipes are still probably cheaper. Personally, I'm not interested in making Diet Coke in my kitchen. That's no fun! :p I get enough junk into my body on my cheats..... :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just made another bottle for the weekend dinner party we were invited to (somewhat potluck). I made a bottle of grape soda and a bottle of pomegranate/lime, now I am finally doing my chai tea soda experiment.

I made a simple syrup by simmering a half cup of sugar in some water. I put about 3.5-4 cups of my famous chai concentrate (who measures? :p ) in a two liter bottle, added the hot syrup, added more filtered water, and a shake of champagne yeast. It is sitting by the wood stove where it is toasty warm, with the other two bottles.

I tasted the mix before adding the yeast and it was quite yummy, a bit sweet for my taste. I would use 1/4 c sugar next time, or maybe even just a couple of tablespoons, and then some stevia. Since this is for others, they will probably want a sweeter version, hence the half cup sugar. I may even add some stevia if it still isn't sweet enough, but it is surprisingly promising.