Homemade Tick Repellent?????What about other bugs! not just ticks

Windswept

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it is all natural! It is made of cedar oil and a corn base ??something?? It was researched and formulated for our soldiers in Desert Storm for the sand fleas.

This past spring we had a really bad time with ticks and fleas. I was using insecticides twice a week with no luck at all. After a lot of research I found www.cedarcide.com and although it is a bit pricey I ordered their Best Yet and PCO. The Best Yet is ready to use contact killer and repellant made of 10% cedar oil. The PCO is concentrated and 90% cedar oil. I used the Best Yet on the pets (note not to be used around chickens) and the PCO to spray on the yard and in the house. It is safe for the pets, kids and people.

Since we have gotten a few chicks I am now looking into Poultry Protector that is an enzyme that is for mites, fleas and ticks. But it has not arrived yet so not sure if it will work not to mention it will be hard to tell for sure since the Cedarcide products have clear everything up here. Have not had the chance to use it hunting yet but I would bet it would not only help with the ticks staying off you but mask your scent to smelly more natural as the cedar trees. FYI hope your love the smell of cedar ;)

Windswept

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Windswept said:
Yes it is all natural! It is made of cedar oil and a corn base ??something?? It was researched and formulated for our soldiers in Desert Storm for the sand fleas.

This past spring we had a really bad time with ticks and fleas. I was using insecticides twice a week with no luck at all. After a lot of research I found www.cedarcide.com and although it is a bit pricey I ordered their Best Yet and PCO. The Best Yet is ready to use contact killer and repellant made of 10% cedar oil. The PCO is concentrated and 90% cedar oil. I used the Best Yet on the pets (note not to be used around chickens) and the PCO to spray on the yard and in the house. It is safe for the pets, kids and people.

Since we have gotten a few chicks I am now looking into Poultry Protector that is an enzyme that is for mites, fleas and ticks. But it has not arrived yet so not sure if it will work not to mention it will be hard to tell for sure since the Cedarcide products have clear everything up here. Have not had the chance to use it hunting yet but I would bet it would not only help with the ticks staying off you but mask your scent to smelly more natural as the cedar trees. FYI hope your love the smell of cedar ;)
Guess it is not Homemade but it is all natural :|

PONDERCHICK

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
this recipe is from a book that i have. it says it works well for mosquitoes, so maybe it would work for ticks as well

15-20 drops of eucalyptus oil
15-20 drops of lemon essential oil
15-20 deops lemongrass essential oil
15-20 drops of citronella essential oil
1 ounce carrier oil

mix all in small pitcher
pour into spray bottle and use as needed

:D

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
PONDERCHICK said:
this recipe is from a book that i have. it says it works well for mosquitoes, so maybe it would work for ticks as well

15-20 drops of eucalyptus oil
15-20 drops of lemon essential oil
15-20 deops lemongrass essential oil
15-20 drops of citronella essential oil
1 ounce carrier oil

mix all in small pitcher
pour into spray bottle and use as needed

:D
thanks/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
man--bet it would smell great, too! Plus, all that oil would be nice for moisturizing summer skin. Thanks, Ponderchick!

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can totally relate to you. If there is a tick, chiggar, etc. they bite ME. I use to look like an 8 year old kid with hundreds of whelps/bites two to three times each summer. I scratch till I bleed!! I used to use Avon Skin-so-soft but the smell finally got to me,....I hate the smell now. Anyway, I have four (4) guineas now plus ducks and lots of chickens who free range and it is very rare for me to get a tick bite now. My muscovie ducks are mosquito eating machines, too. This has happened over one year's span. I know not all folks are able to have poultry but for those who can have them, you will see a difference!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wish that would work for me. We do have chickens, and have ducks on and off etc., but our mosquitoes breed in the forest, in the holes of trees, and also down in our year-round creeks, which they can't have access to.

After losing hens to the first outbreak of West Nile here, and getting it myself (A few years ago.), I bought one of those big mosquito dealys that uses an attractant, and has a fan that pulls them in when they go near it.

It has reduced them by a huge amount.

Also, if I sit outside during mosquito season, I put a box fan on a box to my left or right. They can't fly in the breeze and you're safe.

Mostly I use attractant traps, though. The big one for mosquitoes, Big Stinky for flies, and traps for yellow jackets as well. When it comes to stinging and disease carrying critters, it's war. :)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
man--bet it would smell great, too! Plus, all that oil would be nice for moisturizing summer skin. Thanks, Ponderchick!
sometimes that stuff on me makes it hard for me to breath.