Homemade Tick Repellent?????What about other bugs! not just ticks

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I haven't gotten 1 yet! :D
But, hunting season hasn't rolled to Vermont yet.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
WEll I try using some sort of citrus on my hunting clothes when I went out last weekend and I still found two on me :/

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
This stuff. I've used it. Don't use too much though, the scent is strong.

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/LemonEucalyptus/

It also performed well in tests, much better than citronella which was almost ineffective.

The is a difference between insecticide and insect repellents. One is a poison the kills the insect and the other messes up its sensory systems.
Raid is an insecticide. You wouldn't spray Raid on yourself would you.
thats the stuff I used with a lot of success.

its basicly just 30% lemon eucolyptus essential oil plus alchohal and solvents as carriers.

its cheaper to make your own from buying the pure essential oils.

combine it with tea tree oil and you have an even more powerful repelent that can actually kill them.

rowdysunsetart

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Pennyroyal and Citronella oils mixed with water about 2 TBs to quart wather then sprayed on your pant legs and even your skin, I have used this in deep woods and not had one bug on me flying or otherwise and usually I have problems! I even sent some with a lady who went to the rainforest with it and came back with great reports!:)

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I mixed vanilla extract in a bottle of lotion I had, and it worked short term, against mosquitos. I had to reapply every 2 hours or so, but now I have lovely soft skin and smell like baking! :p