Homemade Tick Repellent?????What about other bugs! not just ticks

Chickchic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
50/50 mixture of Vanilla Extract (real or imitation) and water. Completely safe and you can spray it on your face even. Might not want to wear white clothes and guys may not like to smell like vanilla, but my husband thinks I smell great!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Chickchic said:
50/50 mixture of Vanilla Extract (real or imitation) and water. Completely safe and you can spray it on your face even. Might not want to wear white clothes and guys may not like to smell like vanilla, but my husband thinks I smell great!
That is very easy.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I don't know if this helps but when we send care packages overseas for the soldiers some of the things they request are flea and tick collars. The kind you buy for your dogs.
They wear them around their wrists and ankles. I have never heard of that before until I got the wish list.
If you think they are getting in through your shirt collar, you could wear one around your neck if you could find one large enough. I know that sounds like I am joking, but who will see it anyway, your collar should cover it.
Since you get them so bad, I would be wearing 5 of them at a time. The wrists, ankles and neck.
Bad idea. If I would have ever caught or heard of any of my soldiers wearing these there would have been heck to pay. There was always the urban legend of wearing flea and tick collars but I never saw it done. It is a poison that is absorbed into the body and is not approved for human use.

Sometimes those wish lists are made by well meaning but not knowing people, not by the service members themselves.

Please do not use them on humans.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
This stuff. I've used it. Don't use too much though, the scent is strong.

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/Insectrepellents/LemonEucalyptus/

It also performed well in tests, much better than citronella which was almost ineffective.

The is a difference between insecticide and insect repellents. One is a poison the kills the insect and the other messes up its sensory systems.
Raid is an insecticide. You wouldn't spray Raid on yourself would you.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Thanks dacjohns. I will try that if I can't find a recipe to make it homemade. THat looks pretty natural.

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Great dacjohns! Thanks! Also Chickens work pretty good for mosquitoes and ticks!