Homemade Vanilla Extract

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home made vanilla! Mmmmmm........... I gotta try this!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH this is so good! Ever since I found out about this, I have had two bottles with vanilla beans in the cupboard at all times. Definitely worth it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So apparently vanillin [1] is a chemical and that's the main component in artificial vanilla. But there are hundreds of flavor compounds in a real vanilla bean. Knowing that, I had to make my own extract. It's about a month old now and I can't wait to try it.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanillin

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So if I get more beans than I can use for the first batch, can I freeze the rest? Or how best to store them?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the Pure Vanilla Extract that I buy lists water, alcohol, and "vanilla bean extractives" as the only ingredients. I wonder what "vanilla bean extractives" are?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Daffodils At The Sea said:
So if I get more beans than I can use for the first batch, can I freeze the rest? Or how best to store them?
My package says there's no need to even refrigerate. I, however, remain skeptical.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
According to many sources refrigerating or freezing the vanilla beans can lead to them drying out, and sometimes even to mold. I keep mine in a glass clamp top jar - the kind with a rubber gasket - in my pantry, which is the coolest room in the house.

http://www.kitchenbutterfly.com/how-to/with-vanilla/

The first thing you ought to know is how to store your Vanilla beans not in the fridge or freezer cold dries them out and may promote a particular type of Vanilla mold! I keep mine in a small closed container in my kitchen cupboard (aka cool, dry and dark). The experts recommend opening the container every couple of weeks or so to let the air circulate a bit and for you to be hit by the earthy fragrance of Vanilla. If they are vacuum packed them leave them as they are till youre ready to use them.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Uh oh, mine have been in the freezer for a LONG time - I guess I'd better take them out and examine them!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's interesting. I have mine rolled in three freezer zipper bags...what is that, about 10 layers of plastic??
Then they're stored behind stuff in the cupboard. Hasn't been that long since I checked mine, but the mason jar sounds like a good idea, maybe with an oxygen absorber in it also.