Homemade Vanilla Extract

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok So I have made vanilla extract but have any of you used the beans afterwards to make vanilla sugar? How did you do it. I have new beans arriving in the next week or so and beans about to come out of a bottle. I would like to use those beans for the vanilla sugar.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Britesea said:
the Pure Vanilla Extract that I buy lists water, alcohol, and "vanilla bean extractives" as the only ingredients. I wonder what "vanilla bean extractives" are?
That is code for they "showed a vanilla bean to the bottle" :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How long do you soak the beans in vodka? How much vodka and how many beans? Please?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
Ok So I have made vanilla extract but have any of you used the beans afterwards to make vanilla sugar? How did you do it. I have new beans arriving in the next week or so and beans about to come out of a bottle. I would like to use those beans for the vanilla sugar.
Definitely; I am too cheap to let any particle of vanilla bean go to waste :lol:. First of all, I cut the beans in half lengthwise, and scrape the seeds free, and put both the pods and the seeds in the bottle for extract, and cover with vodka or brandy (I think I prefer the brandy; not expensive cognac - though that would probably be heavenly, but ... well, see above - I'm cheap. I get a decent, but not exorbitant California brandy). I have two bottles - one I use, and one I let steep. By the time the first one is empty, I can pour the second one into the first to use. At the same time I add another bean or two to the steeping bottle. (I also keep a few pieces of vanilla in the "use" bottle, for an extra little kick. I let these beans stay in the bottles, and don't worry about taking them out until things get too crowded - so, I guess I fibbed; I don't use these beans for vanilla sugar till way, way down the line. Eventually, yes, they go into the sugar container.) When I make a vanilla pudding or sauce I pull out a fresh bean, and also cut it in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds (if I want the seeds in the final product, otherwise not), add to the heating milk, and allow to steep for an hour or so. At the end of that time I take out the vanilla pods, reheat the milk, and continue with the recipe. The pods I rinse, and pat dry, and put in a small dish, and cover with granulated sugar. This ensures that I am not putting sopping wet pods into the sugar container. After a day or two I add the pods and sugar to a dedicated tin (jar, crock, what have you; in my case it is an old cocoa tin). This tin is full of granulated sugar and all the end bits of vanilla beans that I have added over the years. The sugar is usually caked because of residual moisture, but is easily beaten into submission. Wonderful stuff for sprinkling onto desserts or adding to recipes instead of extract. When I get too many ends and bits of vanilla I will put them into the blender with some of the vanilla sugar, and grind the whole lot into a powder. This can be used in the same way as plain vanilla sugar in instances where the darker color won't matter - Fruitcake? Chocolate cake? Molasses cookies? You get the idea. It is little more intense than the regular vanilla sugar. In other words - I never toss out any bit of the bean. If it has lost a bit flavor by steeping in alcohol or milk it doesn't matter. I use vanilla often enough that I will have several "spent" pods, which together will equal one fresh one. And, actually, even if one doesn't use it too often, both alcohol and sugar will preserve it nicely until you do use it! :lol: If, by chance, you don't have any "spent" pods, but want vanilla sugar, just cut a fresh pod into pieces, and bury them in a container of sugar; give it a little bit and they will perfume the sugar beautifully.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
How long do you soak the beans in vodka? How much vodka and how many beans? Please?
As many as you can afford :lol: Choose your bottle; cut up as many beans as you have, or want to use, or can afford; drop them in; pour in enough alcohol to cover; put a cork or cap on the bottle; put it in a dark cupboard, out of sight and mind, and leave it as long as you can stand, or until when you open it it smells like vanilla, and not like vodka, or brandy. The longer the better. Best, if you can manage it, is to start at least two; that way, by the time you can't stand it anymore, and have to broach the first bottle, the second one will be well on its way, but will still have time to develop further.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just added my old beans from my first bottle to a bottle of rum. I was told this makes a wonderful flavoring for pounds cakes and such.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ORChick said:
baymule said:
As many as you can afford :lol: Choose your bottle; cut up as many beans as you have, or want to use, or can afford; drop them in; pour in enough alcohol to cover; put a cork or cap on the bottle; put it in a dark cupboard, out of sight and mind, and leave it as long as you can stand, or until when you open it it smells like vanilla, and not like vodka, or brandy. The longer the better. Best, if you can manage it, is to start at least two; that way, by the time you can't stand it anymore, and have to broach the first bottle, the second one will be well on its way, but will still have time to develop further.
Thank you!!!!! Great idea on starting TWO bottles!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
heatherlynnky said:
I just added my old beans from my first bottle to a bottle of rum. I was told this makes a wonderful flavoring for pounds cakes and such.
Rum? Sounds good. Gee I hope nobody from church sees me coming out of the liquor store loaded down with rum, brandy and vodka! :lol:

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

That is too funny. We had a new preacher come to our house and what sat on the middle of the counter? A HUGE bottle of vodka with my beans in it. Didn't bother me a bit but it about made my dad have a stroke. He stuttered and stammered. My husband just picked up the bottle, shook it and said if they ever need some real vanilla...... Just remind them it says don't get drunk, not though shalt have flavorless baking. Haha LOVE real vanilla extract!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
lol! I don't understand why people think alcohol is evil when it was the subject of at least one miracle (water to wine).

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
~Benjamin Franklin