Homemade Vanilla Extract

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you Rhettsgreygal :D

I just ordered my vanilla beans! Can't wait! Soon I'll have two things to look at daily, my vanilla and ACV....waiting, waiting....

As I use the vanilla, can I add more vodka to the first bottle while I use from the second one? Or would I need to replace the beans and start over?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I made my vanilla, I poured the vodka over the beans into 2 canning jars. It was easier to work with. You could label it "vinegar" or something like that to keep hubby out.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Rhettsgreygal :D

I just ordered my vanilla beans! Can't wait! Soon I'll have two things to look at daily, my vanilla and ACV....waiting, waiting....

As I use the vanilla, can I add more vodka to the first bottle while I use from the second one? Or would I need to replace the beans and start over?
I made vinegar and vanilla at the same time, too. You can re-use the beans by adding more vodka, some recipes say you can do that several times.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just bought vanilla beans from vanilla product usa and I only bought the little sample pack for $14.50 with shipping! I ended up with 41 beans they send an extra 10 beans since I spent over $10.
So I ended up with 10 grade A Madagascar bourbon beans and 10 grade B extract of the same kind and 10 grade A Tahitian beans and 10 freeby Grade B of same. I ended up with one extra grade B Tahitian in the pack.
I loved them and am planning on buy a bigger pack soon.
My extracts are just getting nice but need to be a tad stronger so I am gonna wait some more. They are over $8 for two in the stores here!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just started my third bottle today. I told Roy that I had enough for at least another bottle or more. He asked me to start a pint size bottle and to put in extra vanilla beans. He wants to see how it tastes as vanilla flavored vodka.

But anyways here are my three bottles:

The one on the left I started today, the one in the middle I started on April 17th and the one on the right I started on March 3rd.

040-1.jpg

Annette

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
I just started my third bottle today. I told Roy that I had enough for at least another bottle or more. He asked me to start a pint size bottle and to put in extra vanilla beans. He wants to see how it tastes as vanilla flavored vodka.

The one on the left I started today, the one in the middle I started on April 17th and the one on the left I started on March 3rd.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/RhettsGreygal/040-1.jpg

Annette
:hu Was that 2nd left supposed to be the right?

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Rhettsgreygal said:

The one on the left I started today, the one in the middle I started on April 17th and the one on the left I started on March 3rd.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/RhettsGreygal/040-1.jpg

Annette
:hu Was that 2nd left supposed to be the right?
Thanks it has been corrected.

I blame that mistake on my stove (had a gas leak), job interview and snow.

Annette

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks. I just used a combination of recipes I found on the internet and googled the conversion from liters to ounces since the metric system never stuck in my brain after 8th grade math class.