homemade versions...New TV show about cracking secret recipes!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have a book here with supposedly the secret KFC recipe, want me to look it up? It wasn't 11 herbs and spices at all. Want me to go find the book?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have a book called a Treasury of Top Secret Recipes here that we found at a Goodwill. It says (I'll paraphrase here) that there are not really "11 herbs and spices" at all, but really just four basic ingredients when chemists have analysed what is actually in the chicken.....flour, salt, pepper and MSG and chicken. However, the cooking method is rather important to the flavor. The whole deal of there being 11 herbs and spice is to keep people guessing I suppose.

But here is the recipe:
6 cups Crisco cooking oil
1 egg, beaten
2 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon MSG or Accent
2 frying chickens with skin, cut into 8 pieces

1. Put the oil in a pressure cooker and heat over medium heat to 400 F.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
4. Dip each piece into the milk mixture until fully moistened.
5. Roll moistened chicken in the flour mixture until completely coated.
6. In groups of four or five, drop the covered chicken pieces into the oil and lock the lid in place.
7. When steam begins shooting through the pressure release, set the timer for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes, release the pressure according to manuf. directions and remove the chicken to paper towels or a metal rack to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Makes 16 pieces.

I haven't had a pressure cooker so I haven't tried it, and I am not supposed to use MSG because of my migraines either, so I have not tried the recipe. Let me know how close it actually tastes!

We have found that our local Fred Meyer's uses the same recipe (it seems) only they start with much better pieces of chicken than the typical KFC does these days and it is much cheaper. But with such a simple recipe......not hard to find lots of people making Kentucky Fried Chicken.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I have a book called a Treasury of Top Secret Recipes here that we found at a Goodwill. It says (I'll paraphrase here) that there are not really "11 herbs and spices" at all, but really just four basic ingredients when chemists have analysed what is actually in the chicken.....flour, salt, pepper and MSG and chicken. However, the cooking method is rather important to the flavor. The whole deal of there being 11 herbs and spice is to keep people guessing I suppose.

But here is the recipe:
6 cups Crisco cooking oil
1 egg, beaten
2 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon MSG or Accent
2 frying chickens with skin, cut into 8 pieces

1. Put the oil in a pressure cooker and heat over medium heat to 400 F.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
4. Dip each piece into the milk mixture until fully moistened.
5. Roll moistened chicken in the flour mixture until completely coated.
6. In groups of four or five, drop the covered chicken pieces into the oil and lock the lid in place.
7. When steam begins shooting through the pressure release, set the timer for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes, release the pressure according to manuf. directions and remove the chicken to paper towels or a metal rack to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken.

Makes 16 pieces.

I haven't had a pressure cooker so I haven't tried it, and I am not supposed to use MSG because of my migraines either, so I have not tried the recipe. Let me know how close it actually tastes!

We have found that our local Fred Meyer's uses the same recipe (it seems) only they start with much better pieces of chicken than the typical KFC does these days and it is much cheaper. But with such a simple recipe......not hard to find lots of people making Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Huge word of warning here. DO NOT use a pressure COOKER with oil. They are not designed for it and there is a huge risk of disaster sooner or later. Use a pressure FRYER. There is only one designed for home use and cooking with oil. The seals on a pressure cooker are not designed for hot oil. A pressure fryer will have a clamp that fits over the whole lid in addition to the regular locking mechanism.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks for adding that .....I have no experience using this recipe......

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would guess that the Colonel's original recipe did indeed have 11 herbs and spices; but in the interest of saving money, the corporation started eliminating the herbs and spices (which are costly for the amount used), and maybe increasing the amount of salt, and the flavor was probably subtle enough that people didn't really notice the difference. You put enough salt in something and it will overpower the other flavors, just like sugar does.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Thanks for adding that .....I have no experience using this recipe......
For any one thats interested, Fagor makes the pressure fryer. It is expensive but it goes both ways; fryer or cooker. No other pressure pot is qualified for frying with oil.
And no, I do not have an interest in selling these things. I wanted to pressure fry my free range DP chickens.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Now if I could locate the recipe for Church's fried chicken and their "cajun rice" (dirty rice, to us Louisianians). :drool

ETA: I just came across what is supposed to be an almost identical Churches recipe. It's baked instead of fried, so I don't know. But here it is anyway:

1 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup biscuit mix
1 envelope Italian dressing mix
1 envelope onion soup mix
-
1 Chicken (Cut into Pieces)
-
2 eggs, mix with
1/4 cup cold water
-
1 cup corn oil (for frying)

Combine first set of ingredients in a 4-cup bowl. Mix to blend the ingredients thoroughly.

Dip the chicken pieces in egg mixture and then into dry coating mix and repeat so each piece is double coated.

Pre-heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Brown pieces skin-side down for 4 to 6 minutes. Use medium high heat.

Turn and brown underside of pieces a few minutes. Transfer to an oiled or Pam-sprayed pan. Cover with foil, sealing it on only 3 sides of pan.

Bake at 350F for about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove foil, then Bake another 5 minutes until the coating is crisp.