Horse Meat???

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit it, I've eaten road kill too. But only fresh and I knew that it was. It is illegal around here to harvest roadkill, but the spirit of the law was to keep good ole boys from ramming & harvesting. I've hit 3 deer in my life (Pretty darn good average for around here!) and only one did not get harvested, and only because it was :sick Its a waste otherwise, IMO. Plus its payback for the damage to the car :lol: :duc

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wish they hadn't outlawed butchering horses in the states. Its very sad to see these older, sick horses being turned out to die on a field, suffering out their last days when they could have a quick death and be turned into something useful.

Dog food was just better back in the days when they could use horses for it. Now days, who knows what's in it but there isn't much meat, I can tell you that!

I was a the stock sales the other day and was sickened by the bony, sad-looking horses coming through there. You could count every rib and could have impaled yourself on the hip bones. Most of the horses went for $10-$40 each. Even the very nice looking ones.

Definitely.....if I were hungry or needed to provide for my kids, horse would be on the menu. Its an herbivore, like a deer, cow or sheep, so no restrictions in my mind.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I'll eat anything that doesn't try to eat me first! :lol:
I have had beaver, raccoon, possum, elk, buffalo, deer, snake, goose, duck, pigeon, grouse, plus all the other stuff we consider "normal".
I'd try horse meat if it were offered, and if I liked it, I'd even search it out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
just seeing what things people consider food
If I actually HAD to, I would. I tried it as a kid.

Now, things we have eaten, since we are a hunting family, ....

the regulars like chicken, fish, beef, pork rabbit (domestic), quail...
the wild like deer, moose, bear, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, rabbit and hare, pigeon.
Things I would if I had to, most herbivore/omnivores.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, I'm the odd man out here...because I am serious when I say we would have to be starving for me to eat horse meat!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Amos said:
I was wondering when this would come up.

Anyone remember my donkey story?
Does this mean we are all invited to a Donkey Fry at your house?:celebrate

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, I've seen a time when I would have been pretty glad to have horse meat.....or any meat, for that matter! :p

Have eaten coon, possum, groundhog, squirrel, deer, sheep, cows, frogs, turtle, squid, shark and just about anything else you can char and salt and pepper! :lol:

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I suppose in the instance that Bee mentioned, I might, but really, it doesn't seem to be a very effecient meat source, given the reproductive rate and feeding requirements of horses. Also, I would have to consider how many vaccines, wormers, ect are given to horses.

I have heard that iguanas are called 'chicken lizards' in some countries, because they taste like chicken, but they take so darn long to grow, again, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I guess so much depends on the individual animal, and the situation. I would hope that if a starving carnivore or omnivore had access to my dead body, they would eat it and be nourished.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Aly, I've seen a time when I would have been pretty glad to have horse meat.....or any meat, for that matter! :p

Have eaten coon, possum, groundhog, squirrel, deer, sheep, cows, frogs, turtle, squid, shark and just about anything else you can char and salt and pepper! :lol:
LOL Well, I did say we'd have to be starving...... :p