Horse Meat???

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:frow Good Morning Beekissed.

Yes it a pneumatic "bolt", but in Mexico they use a knife/dagger. The problem is they don't restrain the horse's heads and they are moving it all over the place to escape the wrath.

With cows they restrain the animal's neck and head, so to me it is more humane...quicker.

I don't have a problem with slaughtering them, just the method.

And one more thing and then I'll shut up. With cows I think there are more regulations to protect them than horses, like in transit for instance and hoof and vet care etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey,BBH! :frow Hey, anyone with a screen name such as yours would definitely be in the negative column! :p I'm with you.....I wouldn't look for the meat to eat, but I would eat it if hungry enough and nothing else were available.

I would, however, prefer to see poor, neglected horses killed humanely and in a dog food bag than standing in a grassless lot on 4 ft. of manure. I've seen a place like this and the humane society gives him horses to "rescue"! His stalls all have 4 ft of manure pack and the horses are crippled from standing on the sloping hills of it. Sick! :somad

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Hey,BBH! :frow Hey, anyone with a screen name such as yours would definitely be in the negative column! :p I'm with you.....I wouldn't look for the meat to eat, but I would eat it if hungry enough and nothing else were available.

I would, however, prefer to see poor, neglected horses killed humanely and in a dog food bag than standing in a grassless lot on 4 ft. of manure. I've seen a place like this and the humane society gives him horses to "rescue"! His stalls all have 4 ft of manure pack and the horses are crippled from standing on the sloping hills of it. Sick! :somad
I totally agree with you. I just think the poor old horse is better off shot between the eyes than have to endure the slaughter house. There is no sence in wasting the carcass either, rendering the hoofs and bones etc. I'm with you on those issues totally.

I wonder how the icelandic horses are slaughtered? I'm sure it is more humane that what we had going on here.

There were 2 plants in TX and I've seen footage of both of them in the process...yeah, I know I was only shown the bad stuff. All I'm saying is atleast do it humanely.

I have seen "rescue" places just as bad. It is really a sad, vicious circle isn't it. Just as bad as stray dogs in some cases...just so many of them. (In LO some people just dump old horses in the swamp and let the alligators do the rest...)

I think there has to be a better way to do it commercially.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep! It would be great if there was a special interest group that would buy and humanely kill and process horses for healthy dog foods. I don't know what is in dog foods today but I doubt if much of it has any meat at all.....seems to be all dye and filler.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
And corn!!

Hey that is a geat idea Bee!

Do you think something like that would fly?

I've had vets put my horses to sleep and dispose of the body. (Expensive!) I think it would be great if a s.i. group would help you do it and then use the carcass for dog food etc as payment. No waste. I would do it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Problem is, the way horses are put down, the body is VERY poisonous. The tranquillizers, then the ....whatever they use to stop the heart....is in massive quantities, and the bloodstream distributes it quickly to all the tissues. So no good for dogfood.

I hired a backhoe to bury my horse in my back field last summer.....shhh, don't tell on me.....the guy only charged $100, but since he was out there within an hour of my phone call after hours on a Friday night, I handed him another $50 in cash. I had to chase him down the following week to pay him. How nice was that. I just had to give him more for being so nice and respectful.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I too have a horse under my mom's flower bed...shhh! ;) She had to be put down when I was 16. It was small town TX and everyone knew someone with a backhoe. And no one thought twice about burying a horse on your property...away from any water sources tho. That was 20+ years ago and it was a town that wasn't even on maps yet. COUNTRY!

ETA Sorry free, I meant put them down in a clean way, like a bullet and then given over for dog meat etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do they just use a heavy sedative for that? One wouldn't want to pass that on to dogs, would they.......well...unless its one of those little yappy dogs! ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know it is loud, but a bullet is precise and clean. (I can't believe I'm talking like this!!! But I believe in putting anything out of its misery if it needs to be done.)