Horse Meat???

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wouldn't have to be starving...just out of beef and not wanting to waste good BBQ coals :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thats ok Aly, more for us, unless we eat it all by the time we're really starved.. Lol.

One Donkey Fry coming up! Everyones invited. :p

Reaction score
You guys should come up with a horse meat cookbook. Could be a big seller.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My brother Rich visited Iceland and their winter climate is no good for beef---but the Icelandic ponies could easily handle the weather. Their meat is horse meat...and alot of their exports (or tourist stuff) is Icelandic pony pelts, rugs, purses, boots etc. etc.

So I was thinking----it truly must be "what can be eaten" where you live.

Hey in Alaska, Eskimos eat seals.....would I? probably not cause I don't have too....LOL-LOL

Would I if hungry----I would eat anything literally if starving and it were food to me at that time..:gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We used to be able to buy raw horse meat in the freezer section at the grocery store. It was made by Hills and sold as dog food. We bought it all of the time since we raw fed our little house dog. It is a little more stinky than hamburger, redder and leaner.

I love love horses - I also have met a few that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to freakin' eat! :somad

It is a genuine disservice to horses and horse people NOT to have a killer market in the USA. Horses become worthless and then are neglected or abused. Prices just bottom out and people with good trained horses to sell can't get a decent price.

Horses ARE still being killed for meat - just on a limited basis. AND they are being hauled hundreds of miles sometimes into Mexico for processing.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are absolutely right about needing a market for horses.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am not against other people eating what they want. I am totally against how the slaughtering companies were doing it.

I'm going to get on my soap box, so forgive me.

I thought we stopped the transit from America to Mexico to kill horses!!! It was horrible (I'm from TX) to watch these trucks full to capacity dragging these poor horses through TX to Mexico in 100 degree heat. No water, no stopping and nobody keeping an eye on their welfare.

You can still put a horse down, the vet does it humanely...and after years of dedicated service, don't you think they deserve it?

It is the indescriminate backyard breeders that have flooded the market with unwanted horses. That and the users of pregnant mare urine for pharmaceuticals. I was hoping that with the closure of the horse slaughtering plants this would stop the unnecessary breeding.

I understand the need to uthanise old and broken down horses...but the horses ending up at slaughter are strong, young muscular beasts. Many of them were bred just to sell to the slaughtering plants. The French aren't interested in eating old, tough horse meat. I have sat side by side a "killer" at an auction and he explained it to me. (That was the last auction I went to. I came home with an ex quarter race horse that was being eyed by this man.) Now two out of three of my horses are rescues, both are strong and young. (Third horse was a private rescue from a friend in dire straits.)

Boy, I would love to have a nice pedigreed horse for my daughter to show etc. But I have to step up to do my duty because of someone else's neglect.

Now if they could find a more humane way to kill horses I might change my mind. Horses have such a "flight" instinct they thrash and fight to get away from the killer's hands. They are also head and ear shy if not trained properly or at all. So to get a good shot with what ever tool they use to kill there may be several attempts to hit the mark. It is a tragic way to die. And guess who is watching this horrific scene? The next horse.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm thinking they still use a bolt for slaughter, don't they? Its referred to as a humane killer and uses no bullets, but a bolt that flies out and into the head. They place these between the eyes from what I've read.