Horse Meat???

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone try it?

I never have and love love love horses to ride and as pets, LOL, but it is a staple for many people along with other animals we in the US would never eat.

Just wondering if anyone tried it. I checked with my local processor who does our hogs and he said he would not process a horse--just wondering if anyone has done this or would consider it at all.

just seeing what things people consider food.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never tried it, but I would if it were offered. I haven't heard good things about the flavor, but I heard sushi was terrible, too. I think Americans as a whole are waaay too wrapped up in the idea that "This is food & this is not"
The tiny old farmhouse I used to live in? There was a pen out back that I assumed for the longest to be a rabbit hutch. One day when describing a particular spot on the land to the owner, I referred to the rabbit hutch as a landmark.
"Rabbit hutch? There's no rabbit hutch there. Oh, wait, you mean the possum pen? Thats where my grandaddy raised his possums."
"For what?" I asked.
"To eat, of course. Possum is good as long as you control what they eat and don't let em get to any garbage."
Dog is a delicacy in the Philipines, but so is half rotted crab.
It all depends on your taste, thats why there are more than 1 or 2 flavors of ice cream. :lol:

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am the same as Noobie. I wouldn't order it in a restaurant just yet but if someone were offering a sample, I'd try it. I've had 'gator while I was down in Texas and calamari several times (LOVE it when it is cooked right). I'll try just about anything as long as it doesn't have an identifiable head on it and isn't still alive. All those Fear Factor episodes where they had to eat dead critters, I couldn't help but think that they were a bunch of weenies. I might baulk a bit at the live ones until I remember that there is money involved.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
All those Fear Factor episodes where they had to eat dead critters, I couldn't help but think that they were a bunch of weenies. I might baulk a bit at the live ones until I remember that there is money involved.
:yuckyuck

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I have two horses..... and I have tried horse meat.

I am from dutch heritage, and it is a popular thing for dutchmen to eat (from what I'm told). When I was younger, we had some in the house. It was smoked, and it was not bad. go to any dutch specialty shop, and they will sell it at the meat counter.

Would I buy it? No. But if push came to shove, and we were starving, I have tow horses. hopefully, push does not come to shove, if you know what I mean.

Now, I need to let my horses out into the pasture soon.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am one of those who is not that adventurous when it comes to meat...I don't like lamb or rabbit, never had venison, buffalo or goat.

If I was in a desperate situation and we were talking survival, I would eat anything. Given my choice I would not search out horse meat to try!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have never eat horse but have had possum. Not bad - kind of greasy. Raccoon is not half bad either and I hear beaver is pretty good. As far as searching out any of these food sources to purchase - Don't think so. Offered freely, straight into the mouth they go. And if push came to shove about the only thing that would be off limits for me would be buzzard.

I do eat rabbit, venison and squirrel. Love them all. My DH says squirrel is just a large rat with a busy tail. My reply is always the same. And - Your Point? Cause as gross as it sounds - if push came to shove - rats definitely make the menu.

As far as fear factor goes. There is just not enough money to make me eat 200 year old eggs unless I am starving. LOL

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I was wondering when this would come up.

Anyone remember my donkey story?

My dad is seriously considering butchering the donkey to eat, we probably won't anytime soon because we don't have freezer space, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat any. We've eaten many things that people probably would, a variety of roadkill too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL 2 dream

that is true....presentation and SMELL is important.

I could eat a horse literally if offered, am I sending one to process...nope, don't need too.

but in bringing food up to my mouth, the smell hits me first and it is a NO GO.....HA HA HA

I eat crazy things like rabbit.
Yup, rabbit.

So simple and doable and alot of people eat it yet so MANY do not and think me weird......huh? rabbit was a staple in this country obviously like all over. crazy huh...lol