How expencive is it in USA?

paradox

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes the others are right. It varies so greatly from area to area that it is impossible to answer this question. I have seen internet sites for cost of living comparisons though. They usually show you things like average income, price of a certain size home or land, and prices for different grocery items. I used it a few times when the heat started getting to me, thinking we might want to head somewhere else, only to discover I am sitting pretty right where I am at. :)

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i live in canada..
about and hour and a half outside vancouver...a beautiful city,
but i believe it is ranked the most expensive place to buy realestate in north america...
when i hear what you pay for realestate...i drool...because it is really expensive here..
we got lucky deal with our house and acre...but would love to buy the two acres behind us...
but the greedy kids, who, were left it.. have turned down....get this 330,000...this is overgrown undeveloped land...
prices...it depends where you shop...milk is just under 5 a gallon..
bread 3 butter almost 5 but i am cheap,,and make all i can or discount shop..
but i live just under an hours drive from the border...and get my butter from a small dairy..
milk and cheese is a lot cheaper too..it is always, fun to go for a us shop because there are
many things not available in canada...
we also have family in england...and visit there...so I have a perspective there too...
the pound definately dosent stretch too far ...is expensive...but again...way more options..than canada...

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. first I am not American,or even living there but you could say I am more traveled than most of them in there own country and can say as some already have said there is not a fixed answer. cost of living and cost of housing and land vary greatly. Not just south or east, central, urban or rural. Way to many variables. You must understand the vast area you are talking about. I have traveled in europe and in a day I could cross into a half dozen countries, could, and have done, Not so in the USA or my country. You can live cheaply or in a very expensive area with high costs. You get to choose. I love the area of up state New york, Vermont, New hampshire, but likely could only afford the area of northern Minisoda. I have found europe to have high housing costs, but lower health care costs. You do not want to be in need of medical services in the USA. You wil get good care, but at a price that can wipe you out if you dont carry good insurance. It can be the greatest place to live, or the worst. Money & area may/will decide which it will be.Actually as I type this I must say money will determine everything in europe or the USA. May we all have lots of it................

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey CHEPO, you must have posted as I as I was typing. I can only say get the hell out of there.I had to go back to BC last year for 6 months or so. The cost of living is nuts! I left in 81 at the age of 18, and never looked back. Come to Alberta, at least a little more sane.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I live in hope a small town...that everyone stops at on route to ???
it offers majestic mountains...that i never tire of seeing, and rivers, that i love to beachcomb...
and other than bills my cost of living is low, but yes justin,,,it is insanly, out there....and people have to pay high tax on top of purchase price too...which i don't think you have to...and i see more and more alberta licences, and have heard of people, using alberta addresses ...to insure there vehicles...maybe when my hubby retires, we will consider moving...

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Neiklot said:
Yes, as the title says, I wonder how expensive it is in the U.S.?
I mean, how much do you get for example. $ 10 at the grocery store?

Here in Sweden, a liter of milk costs about 9kr and one kilo of minced meat costs about 69kr.
(1 U.S. dollar is about 6.86 Skr)

How much does it cost to buy 10 acres of land?

/Neiklot
It depends. Land prices vary a LOT depending on where it is, who owns it, if it has a house, well, electricity, whether it is being sold by a realtor, how long it's been on the market, what quality of soil, if it has trees, etc. In my area, land prices are about $3000/acre if there is no house and no well, and it's being sold by a realtor. the actual value though is around $500-$1000/acre. I have a friend who just bought over 800 acres for less than $150/acre, because the land had been on the market for several years, had no well, no fencing, and no house- but it is good land, and a GREAT buy.

The price of milk depends on what kind you're getting and from what store, and if you have a coupon or not :) In town, 2 hours away from me, milk is around $2.50/gallon for whole milk, and at the small store in the town 30 miles away from me (the only grocery store within hours) a gallon of whole milk is around $3. Of course, organic milk is a LOT more expensive, and you can buy milk very cheaply or even get it for free from a neighbor who has a cow or goats. I can get milk for free, as my mom raises milk goats and if I milk for her, I get to keep the milk.

Acryllic yarn, Red Heart brand, is around $2.50 for 364 yards at Walmart... I like that price :) However, I also make my own yarn, and this spring will be getting llama fleece from my friend's 14 llamas for no cost if I do the shearing... I'm looking forward to it :)

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
justin_case said:
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. first I am not American,or even living there but you could say I am more traveled than most of them in there own country and can say as some already have said there is not a fixed answer. cost of living and cost of housing and land vary greatly. Not just south or east, central, urban or rural. Way to many variables. You must understand the vast area you are talking about. I have traveled in europe and in a day I could cross into a half dozen countries, could, and have done, Not so in the USA or my country. You can live cheaply or in a very expensive area with high costs. You get to choose. I love the area of up state New york, Vermont, New hampshire, but likely could only afford the area of northern Minisoda. I have found europe to have high housing costs, but lower health care costs. You do not want to be in need of medical services in the USA. You wil get good care, but at a price that can wipe you out if you dont carry good insurance. It can be the greatest place to live, or the worst. Money & area may/will decide which it will be.Actually as I type this I must say money will determine everything in europe or the USA. May we all have lots of it................
I agree with this above post. I'd like to add, though, that several state governments take really good care of their poor, especially when it comes to affordable health care, like New Mexico (my state) does. Here we have a "sliding scale" for health care cost, the price of it depends on your income, and you can make small payments. Birth control, health screening such as mammograms, prenatal health care, and childrens health care are just a few of the things that are available at low or no cost to many in our state. It does cost taxpayers, but everyone pays taxes so I'm pretty happy with how my state spends the tax money as far as health care is concerned.

Also, our veterans get free or low cost health care for life if they choose to use a VA service, and I must say that the VA has invested in some really good doctors in the past several years.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
...and then, Blaundie, there's my home state, Virginia, which...does not take care of its poor. Where I live, I work at a job that has reasonable health care, but I pay almost $400 a month for it. And if I go on disability, well, Social Security wouldn't pay enough for my mortgage. And forget "welfare" as it used to be...you have to earn under $300 a month TOTAL for everything (including a cemetery plot, second clunker car, etc.), and my son's SS survivor benefits would put me over that.
In other words, I will have to work until I drop dead. (I have end-stage cancer, but it's stable at the moment). I would give anything in the world to be at home on disability. I would qualify in a heartbeat. BUT I wouldn't be able to get on Medicare/Medicaid for TWO YEARS after being on disability. I never understood that. I mean, by definition, if you're on disability, you have health issues, right? Then why make people wait 2 years before helping them out? How are people supposed to survive 2 years with no insurance if they have health issues like mine?
Oh, well. Sorry to ramble. It's just that it's a hot button for me. My boss is trying to get me fired due to my disability and I've had to get a lawyer to defend my reputation, my job, and in the end, my life. It's a constant nightmare.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
raro said:
...and then, Blaundie, there's my home state, Virginia, which...does not take care of its poor. Where I live, I work at a job that has reasonable health care, but I pay almost $400 a month for it. And if I go on disability, well, Social Security wouldn't pay enough for my mortgage. And forget "welfare" as it used to be...you have to earn under $300 a month TOTAL for everything (including a cemetery plot, second clunker car, etc.), and my son's SS survivor benefits would put me over that.
In other words, I will have to work until I drop dead. (I have end-stage cancer, but it's stable at the moment). I would give anything in the world to be at home on disability. I would qualify in a heartbeat. BUT I wouldn't be able to get on Medicare/Medicaid for TWO YEARS after being on disability. I never understood that. I mean, by definition, if you're on disability, you have health issues, right? Then why make people wait 2 years before helping them out? How are people supposed to survive 2 years with no insurance if they have health issues like mine?
Oh, well. Sorry to ramble. It's just that it's a hot button for me. My boss is trying to get me fired due to my disability and I've had to get a lawyer to defend my reputation, my job, and in the end, my life. It's a constant nightmare.
Yes, and Texas is very similar. However, the nice thing is you get to choose where you live :)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neiklot said:
Yes, as the title says, I wonder how expensive it is in the U.S.?
Neiklot - as some have mentioned here that the cost of living in the USA depends upon where a person chooses to live. Some areas are outrageous expensive and some areas somewhat cheaper. Something that is causing our cost of living to escalate rapidly over the past few years is the fact that the USA now has the worst group of elected officials in our nation's capital that we have ever had (at least in my 69 year lifetime). The clowns we have elected do not know how to balance their own checkbook and somehow we have allowed them to manage our tax money. We have re-elected the worst president in the history of our nation and he spends our money like a crazy person. His appointed thugs simply print more money as they see fit and therefore the value of our currency goes down almost daily. Inflation is totally out of control and nobody seems to want to stop it.

If you are asking about the cost of living here because you may be thinking that you may want to live here someday, I recommend that you reconsider it. The USA is in serious financial, political, and moral trouble and most think that is will get much worse in the next four years. The possibility of civil unrest and rebellion is greater than any time since our civil war. This is one of the main reasons that so many here are trying our best to be self sufficient.

Latest posts