How expencive is it in USA?

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, as the title says, I wonder how expensive it is in the U.S.?
I mean, how much do you get for example. $ 10 at the grocery store?

Here in Sweden, a liter of milk costs about 9kr and one kilo of minced meat costs about 69kr.
(1 U.S. dollar is about 6.86 Skr)

How much does it cost to buy 10 acres of land?

/Neiklot

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is a tricky question! The pricing on common items changes quite drastically from state to state( at least I think so).
I live in Michigan and right now the milk is $2.89 a gallon for the store brand and up to $3.99 for private label and about $4.50 for organic(if not higher).
The cheapest meat I've seen lately is the pork I bought a pack of bone in pork steaks/country ribs and it was $1.29 lb. Boneless chicken was on sale for $1.77lb.
but cheap hamburger was $2.99 lb.
land can be anywhere from $250 an acre to over $1000 depending on where you want to live and how close it is to big cities or the big lakes or even on a lake or river.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food prices vary considerably.

Prices of farm land in Minnesota are, these days, 7500 USD or less. However, you need to buy a minimum number of acres to have the right to build a house, unless it's already been zoned for low-density residential use. In the case of residential-zoned land, the cost of the improvements (house, shed, etc) are a lot more than the cost of the land, so the price/acre might not be the best way to think of it. But I'd estimate 5k-20k $/acre for residential land + the cost of the house.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm in Kentucky we can buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath brick house with 3 acres and a barn for 107,000. The same thing in massachusetts which is a thousand miles away might sell for triple that or more.

Right now I could buy a 10 acres lot for roughly 24,000 us dollars. The one I looked at for this price was fenced in for cattle already. If you buy a bigger lot though I have seen it as low as 1800 an acre. Granted those bigger lots were over 100 acres so....

Milk for us is $2.50 roughly. It varies by a few cents here and there A loaf of bread is less than 1 dollar. I pay 1.89 a pound for ground beef. Now if I went to Massachusetts the price of that meat goes up big time. At least double.

I use Massachusetts because its a bigger city and not in the middle of the bread basket so food prices up there a bit higher.( I also have family there and visit often so I know more about it) Land prices are TONS higher. So we are in the middle of the country. Massachusetts is in the far east of the country. If you go to the far west in to California prices are even higher than that. We have friends who live in the middle of no where in Montana and land prices there are dirt cheap and if you have high level skills the pay is way higher than even in cities because no one wants to live that far away from everything.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I live in South Jersey, and it's expensive. Milk is normally over $4.00 a gallon. Ground beef is over $3.00. And land is expensive. Last I heard, a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house on 1/2 an acre is about $200,000.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
here in iowa, unimproved land is @ $3000-$5000 per acre.
a gal of milk in the store for generic is $3.28.
a pound of hamburger is $2.99 on sale.
a loaf of cheap bread is $1.18

i can make meals for my family on @ $10.00 per day, but i suspect that most americans cant.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Food is not a good indicator since it varies so widely. Milk here in rural Tennessee is $4 a gallon, and I have seen major differences in pricing just on this page. Land here is about $3500 an acre on average outside most city limits. More urban areas are ridiculous in the range of 50K+ per acre depending on location and vicinity of which city. Memphis is cheaper than Nashville, but higher than Knoxville. Very wide range. Our 3 br 2 bath appraises at 105K. Depending on what area of the country, you can live relatively inexensively, other areas....not so much.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are other things that are expensive here. We have to pay sales tax on a vehicle every time it is sold, even when it is quite used. Paying for medical care is very expensive if you don't get health insurance through your work. If you need day care for your kids, that is very expensive. My son pays $60 per week for after-school care for one child! And I'm sure you have heard how expensive college is here now. We have to pay for internet service, and our cell phone service is very expensive, just for the average family use.
Of course, there are some things that are much cheaper here than most places. Right now, gasoline is $3.09/gallon in my area. I understand it is much higher in Europe. (I'm trying to think of other things that might be cheaper. :hu )
Anyway, so much of it depends on where you live. Daily living expenses here in the country are very low compared to big city life.

I just realized I used "expensive" 5 times. Sorry...... Costly. Uncheap. Pricy. Valuable. Dear. You get the idea! :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neiklot,

I am in MI, so Emerald's food prices are comparable for me. I live in an economically VERY depressed area, so around here, you can get a nice house, on 10 acres (mostly wooded) within walking distance of State land and lots of water (large river/man made lake) with an out building, for $40,000(I'm terrible at conversions - what is that, 275,000Skr?). Well, that's what it's listed for. My guess is, you could pay much less and get it. ;) Pay cash and have money in the bank for future taxes though, because you won't find a job anywhere around here to make payments with! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Neiklot,

I am in MI, so Emerald's food prices are comparable for me. I live in an economically VERY depressed area, so around here, you can get a nice house, on 10 acres (mostly wooded) within walking distance of State land and lots of water (large river/man made lake) with an out building, for $40,000(I'm terrible at conversions - what is that, 275,000Skr?). Well, that's what it's listed for. My guess is, you could pay much less and get it. ;) Pay cash and have money in the bank for future taxes though, because you won't find a job anywhere around here to make payments with! :lol:
If not for all the cold and snow.....I'd sell out and move there tomorrow!!!