How expencive is it in USA?

robinhoodie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
America has much more crime than Sweden and I guess you can say it's cheaper until you have health problems, from all the junk food and GMOs. I know Americans are against public healthcare but I am from Finland and I can say it makes me much more relaxed and reduces my stress of daily life knowing that if I get sick I have some guaranteed support, Finland's got my back.

That being said Americans are some of my most favorite people and I'd love to visit your country. California, Colorado, Nevada and Alaska are some places I'd like to go.

ownman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Speculation is a big problem in the US and has caused the price of goods and land to increase to a place they shouldn't be. On the other hand, the US may appear cheaper than Europe, but none of the taxes (we) Americans pay go to the public good like they do in Europe.

In general, you are seeing fewer and fewer independent people in both places.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
robinhoodie said:
America has much more crime than Sweden and I guess you can say it's cheaper until you have health problems, from all the junk food and GMOs. I know Americans are against public healthcare but I am from Finland and I can say it makes me much more relaxed and reduces my stress of daily life knowing that if I get sick I have some guaranteed support, Finland's got my back.

That being said Americans are some of my most favorite people and I'd love to visit your country. California, Colorado, Nevada and Alaska are some places I'd like to go.
Well I see that you have bought all the sterotypes. We may have more violent crime but what about your suicide rate? Healthcare? Your best and brightest Doctors come to the USA either to train or to make better incomes for themselves. National heathcare is comming here too but systems vary so much and frankly most of us don't know what our future system will look like. Here we tend tio compare to Canada. I used to work in a Hospital in Buffalo and we had more and better treatment devices in that one hospital than were available in the whole of Ontario [the 'state just over the river in Canada] It was common for people with acute health problems to cross the border for treatment because the wait times in Canada could be fatal. To be fair people with cronic conditions would search for jobs in Canada just to get on national health.`

WyoLiving

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As said before, the price of things varies by the area. Here is my experience:

Right now, my husband is transfering to a new office of the company he works at and we are moving across the country to a new state.

Here - we have a 3 bedroom, 3 bath, 3000+ square foot house (one story + finished basement), attached 2 car garage, No outbuildings on 10 acres. $300,000

There - we are looking at an old farmstead with 3 bedroom, 1 bath house (2000 square feet, 2 story, bad basement), an extra building with kitchen and large dining hall, another building for a bunkhouse, a barn, a 40 x 72 foot shed, and a 30x50 shed all on 15+ acres for $165,000.

Here is Wyoming, and the empty 12 acre lot next to us is listed for sale at $45,000. And this is land that is high mountain desert with 12" of rain annually and it is very hard to get anything to grow. You typically need
There the 28 acre chunk of land next to the place we are looking at is listed for $50,000, in an area that gets 36" of rain annually, and you can garden fairly easily.
Wyoming is nice because there is no State Income tax, only federal taxes come out of your paycheck. But the land is tough to live on - the stocking rate for cattle is a minimum of 33 acres per cow.
The new place will be about 2 acres per cow. Big difference.