How fat is obese?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I heard a great NPR program today about feeding infants. The doctor on the show thought that perhaps some of the eating problems today started with highly processed infant cereals, then continued with highly processed toddler foods. He suggested starting kids on whole adult foods, just finely chopped or pureed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I tell ya if I had a baby, they'd eat what i eat, and not that crap from the stores. No child of mine will ever start off on processed garbage. I fought that with the two kids i have, and their grandparents had them sucking down little debbies as soon as they had teeth :sick I agree, a lot of the problem is probably learned early on. It's sad

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL tortoise

it absolutely amazes me when I see people who let the children run the home. blows my mind :)

like the SuperNanny shows. kids rule the roost and the parents go insane. I know who runs this house and it sure isn't the kiddo LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL tortoise

it absolutely amazes me when I see people who let the children run the home. blows my mind :)

like the SuperNanny shows. kids rule the roost and the parents go insane. I know who runs this house and it sure isn't the kiddo LOL
haha, once in a blue moon I'll let my son watch SuperNanny and he is in utter shock and disbelief at how naughty the kids are. We have a chat about what would happen if he did that, and then hugs and cuddles because he is such a good kid.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice having a good kid isn't it ? :lol:

I see that show and can barely watch that show. I wanna kill the parents :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've watched it and shaken my head in disbelief over the parents.

Years ago, I worked as an instructor at a karate school. My main classes were w/the youngest children. At times, I'd have kids that were disruptive, throwing tantrums, etc. And, I'd tell them to go and sit next to the wall, then ignore them. And, it wouldn't be long B4 they'd calm down and want to join in. After all, they weren't getting the attention they wanted. Then one day, I had a kid start to cry because I wouldn't let him have his own way. And, his mother came running onto the floor to comfort him. I told her she couldn't do that, and that if she continued to give in because he cried, she was going to have problems w/him. She didn't want to hear it, and shortly thereafter, took her son out of karate. I sometimes wonder if she ever did wake up to what she was doing.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No kidding!! When I hear adults say, "All my child will eat is ______________ (insert complete junk)" I want to ask them WHO is the adult in the house? WHO is buying this food, preparing it, setting it out?

There came a point in our lives when we got rid of ALL the junk so that if the kids begged for something, we could say "We don't have that." (chips, soda, crackers, cookies, cereal, ice cream, candy) And you know what? The kids are super happy to eat 4 apples/day when it's apple season, endless citrus during the winter, peas in spring...

I saw SuperNanny once while on vacation. Absolutely appalling. Our kids were dumbstruck. And believe me, I don't have perfect kids either :)

Spent yesterday with DH's family again--for lunch, chips, soda, white bread sandwiches with bologna salad, 1/2 banana, pretzels, bars for dessert. Then, treats for the kids because they were well behaved (my nephews) so custard, even for the one who has nonstop diarrhea from lactose intolerance. MIL and BIL were chatting about their mutual heartburn medication (he's only about 36), and I asked if they had heartburn when avoiding their trigger foods. No, but they'd rather take medication than avoid their triggers.

It is mindboggling to me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh man that was my hubby with the heartburn pills. I finally got rid of those and he is eating better.

he was on prescrip stuff at first. expensive

then I weaned him off those (and saved money to boot) and got him onto tums or zantac..... finally I got him off that!!

I tell ya it is so simple to prevent heartburn yet I bet it is a (how many) BILLION dollar industry. unreal literally and I laugh about people sucking down those pills.

you got me laughing gals! your MIL and BIL on heartburn pills and they won't eat the right foods to correct it....lol...it is mindboggling to the max :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you watch network TV, you can see where the big money is being spent regarding meds. Obesity, depression, heartburn, constipation, impotence, the common cold, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and allergies. I'm sure I am missing some important ones---oh yes, headache and insomnia.
ALL of which can be greatly improved or cured by APPROPRIATE DIET!!!
Will the AMA admit this? No. It would cost the medical profession and the drug industry WAY too much $$ to tell the truth. Not to mention what the artificial foodstuff industry would lose. So we have to be even more vocal about spreading the truth.

Latest posts