How many use and appreciate.......

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks, I'm with ya on the whole thing with mainstream "gal care" stuff implying or flat out stating that anything period-related is icky and dirty, and it drives me bananas.

I don't make the cloth pads because I can't stand the bulk, but I love that homemade design, it's cute!
Why can't pads be cute, after all? :gig

I got my Diva cup around a year ago, when I started thinking about what exactly goes into making tampons. I mean, the bleaching process alone has to leave lots of nasty resides in the material. And we're stuffing it next to an extremely porous membrane for a week every month! :sick

I think the cloth TP is a leetle too far for us, though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
warthog said:
Wow, I wish I'd known this years ago, my monthly time has well and truly gone.

But tell me more about personal cloths, do you also keep them in a bucket/basket at the side of the toilet, dry in in water, and did someone say about washing them with the towels?

Please tell me how you all deal with this, I use so much tp which is not kind to the septic, so if I can save money on tp and be friendly to the septic it sounds good.

With regard to the other posters comments, I would truly ignore them. Probably the sort that would use disposable diapers. :rant

Anyhow, tell me more please.
All you need is a few yards of a flannel that you think will look nice sitting in a basket on top of your tank.
And a pretty basket of course!
Prewash and dry your flannel.
If you do not sew at all, you can use pinking shears to cut out 6" squares.
Use as is.
If you do sew, and would prefer a slightly thicker cloth, double up the squares, and zigzag around the edges.

Now, here is how I deal with it.
I rarely use to for 2. If you do want to, you will need a little bucket with a lid.
Fill the bucket half way to the top with cool water, and add a bit of natural detergent.
Any cloths that are used for 2 go in there. And don't forget, you can even wet those cloths if you need to ;)
When these need washed, just start a tiny load on hot water, dump the buckets contents in and let it wash once.
Before it rinses, set it back to wash again, add your dry cloths and soap, and wash as usual.
You can add towels to make a full load if you want as well.
No need to use bleach either.

Cloths for 1 go in a cotton bag that I have hanging from one side of my paper holder.
I edged it with a pretty print, and added a drawstring.

Cloth wipes make wonderful baby shower gifts as well.
Add a wipe warmer, a spray bottle with an all natural wipe solution, and you will have a very tickled mama and baby!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Bubblingbrooks, I'm with ya on the whole thing with mainstream "gal care" stuff implying or flat out stating that anything period-related is icky and dirty, and it drives me bananas.

I don't make the cloth pads because I can't stand the bulk, but I love that homemade design, it's cute!
Why can't pads be cute, after all? :gig

I got my Diva cup around a year ago, when I started thinking about what exactly goes into making tampons. I mean, the bleaching process alone has to leave lots of nasty resides in the material. And we're stuffing it next to an extremely porous membrane for a week every month! :sick

I think the cloth TP is a leetle too far for us, though.
Did you know that tampons leave residue inside you as well?
Kind of like insulation......and women wonder why they are prone to infections :hu

Oh, and they are not bulky in the least. They mold very nicely to you.
If you ever have babies, look into getting some full size mama cloth for afterwards.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see how one could possibly see hypocrisy in this thread whatsoever. Where would one see that?

Everyone has their own comfort levels as to what they might be willing to do as far as being frugal and enivornmentally friendly. I don't see how having dozens of kids and using reusable wipes relates to one another. Who here has dozens of kids that uses reusable wipes?

Perhaps, you might need to look at it another way.

Most of us are trying to reduce our impact on this planet. having children might actually benefit the planet, b/c you might be raising an aware child who will have terrific ideas on how to help this planet. flushing TP down the loo is only flushing TP down the loo.

One might also benefit from the money saved by not having to buy TP or feminine products again. Not to mention, the whole--not depending on consumerism, which alot of us strive for, --the whole do-it-yourself- thing. AND lessening our footprint on the planet.

Honestly, and this is only my opinion, but the only hypocrisy I see, is your being on an SS forum when it seems apparent that you disagree with anything SS that we do.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Personally, I don't see how one could possibly see hypocrisy in this thread whatsoever. Where would one see that?

Everyone has their own comfort levels as to what they might be willing to do as far as being frugal and enivornmentally friendly. I don't see how having dozens of kids and using reusable wipes relates to one another. Who here has dozens of kids that uses reusable wipes?

Perhaps, you might need to look at it another way.

Most of us are trying to reduce our impact on this planet. having children might actually benefit the planet, b/c you might be raising an aware child who will have terrific ideas on how to help this planet. flushing TP down the loo is only flushing TP down the loo.

One might also benefit from the money saved by not having to buy TP or feminine products again. Not to mention, the whole--not depending on consumerism, which alot of us strive for, --the whole do-it-yourself- thing. AND lessening our footprint on the planet.

Honestly, and this is only my opinion, but the only hypocrisy I see, is your being on an SS forum when it seems apparent that you disagree with anything SS that we do.
:clap

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I love my BC, no monthly worries! But the cloth ones are interesting. Are more absorbant?

And how in the HECK dose cloth TP work?!? Do you have a separtate washer or is that a waterhose ordeal.

It would make a great punishment for naughty childern...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I love my BC, no monthly worries! But the cloth ones are interesting. Are more absorbant?

And how in the HECK dose cloth TP work?!? Do you have a separtate washer or is that a waterhose ordeal.

See post 32 :)
Cloth pads can be as absorbant as you want or need them to be.
Take a peek in www.etsy.com under cloth menstrual pads.
Have fun shopping!
Or, if you are handy at the sewing machine, they are not hard to make.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I did take offense at Redux's remark!
I am not telling you to use cloth. I am just stating that I prefer cloth pads as well as cloth tp. It is cheaper, feels more comfortable and as an aside I contribute less to the polution of our planet. I also don't think stuff that comes ot of my body is icky, except for puss.
If you cannot handle your own waste product, how can you expect someone else to handle yours!

BTW I have had one pregnancy and have one adult child! There is absolutely no relationship between my use of fabric products and childbearing. Unless you want to count the fact that I used my DD's old diapers to make my sanitary pads!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
urban dreamer said:

See post 32 :)
Cloth pads can be as absorbant as you want or need them to be.
Take a peek in www.etsy.com under cloth menstrual pads.
Have fun shopping!
Or, if you are handy at the sewing machine, they are not hard to make.
OOoooohhhh. OK. I get it now. Its actually very cleaver. I just might make some. I only have the "monthly issue" every three months. And when I do, it last for three weeks! I need a new sewing machine, but Im pretty good at hand sewing too. Something to think about. :)