How many use and appreciate.......

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Urban, I urge you to make at least one or two pads to try out next time....you can use whatever you've been using for the rest of your cycle, but you will feel the difference right away. Sooooo much more comfortable!

I even take them with me on trips. When I started using them, I had no intention of doing this....ick. I planned to use disposables for when I went away.

My first plane trip was a week, and I couldn't bear the thought of going back to those awful disposables, even though I had a good supply stocked up. I brought both with me, and used the homemade. I kept them, unsoaked or rinsed, in a ziploc, until I got home. They didn't even smell when I got home! Imagine what disposables would smell like! :sick This may be TMI for some, but it was proof to me that cotton is the healthier choice in many ways.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
warthog said:
Wow, I wish I'd known this years ago, my monthly time has well and truly gone.

But tell me more about personal cloths, do you also keep them in a bucket/basket at the side of the toilet, dry in in water, and did someone say about washing them with the towels?

Please tell me how you all deal with this, I use so much tp which is not kind to the septic, so if I can save money on tp and be friendly to the septic it sounds good.

With regard to the other posters comments, I would truly ignore them. Probably the sort that would use disposable diapers. :rant

Anyhow, tell me more please.
All you need is a few yards of a flannel that you think will look nice sitting in a basket on top of your tank.
And a pretty basket of course!
Prewash and dry your flannel.
If you do not sew at all, you can use pinking shears to cut out 6" squares.
Use as is.
If you do sew, and would prefer a slightly thicker cloth, double up the squares, and zigzag around the edges.

Now, here is how I deal with it.
I rarely use to for 2. If you do want to, you will need a little bucket with a lid.
Fill the bucket half way to the top with cool water, and add a bit of natural detergent.
Any cloths that are used for 2 go in there. And don't forget, you can even wet those cloths if you need to ;)
When these need washed, just start a tiny load on hot water, dump the buckets contents in and let it wash once.
Before it rinses, set it back to wash again, add your dry cloths and soap, and wash as usual.
You can add towels to make a full load if you want as well.
No need to use bleach either.

Cloths for 1 go in a cotton bag that I have hanging from one side of my paper holder.
I edged it with a pretty print, and added a drawstring.

Cloth wipes make wonderful baby shower gifts as well.
Add a wipe warmer, a spray bottle with an all natural wipe solution, and you will have a very tickled mama and baby!
Bubblingbrooks, thanks very much, I never was much on sewing but the pinking shears idea sounds good, after the holidays I will be out to find some cloth. Again thanks very much.

With regard to KIDS, maybe the OP was right, we do populate the world with KIDS, but the ones that go Maaaaaaaaaaah :gig

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Reux, thanks very much for your PM which states 99.9% of people use disposable diapers. Your are probably CORRECT!!!

I decided to reply to your PM on this thread, because I feel this is where it belongs. If you feel you wish to take a swipe at me in private, please feel free.

However, just because 99.9% of people may use disposable diapers, do that make it right, I don't know, who I am to say whether it's right or wrong.

Now whilst I don't know how your used, disposable diapers are dealt with in the US. What I do know is in Britain they are sent to land fill sites, along with all our other consumer driven rubbish, now Britian being a island and very small in comparison to the US is getting somewhat overloaded with used and smelly diapers, which like most things sent to landfill, take hundreds, thousands of years if ever to decompose. What happens to the landfill site when they are full. They are covered over with earth and eventually built upon homes/factories and families and workers are having health problems, in some cases severe.

When I gave birth to my son many many moons ago, disposables where not an option, so we used the good old fashioned washable variety.

Empty the waste in the toilet, soak and wash, and oh yes, we did not have the new fangled washing machines or dryers that we have now.

So whilst it is each to their own, a little thought to what happens to our waste would not go amis.

Redux, please have the courage of your convictions to post any replies to the thread, in this case there is no need to hide behind PRIVATE messages. The thread is public,so are all my responses.

I see this site as a place to read, learn, look at different options and ways of doing things, question by all means.

But just because it is something you personally would not like to do, does not make it wrong.

I wish you all the best.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Warthog, the reason I PMd you is because I said I would leave this thread, since my opinions are not welcome here. That is why I sent the message privately. I was trying to keep my word and stay away from places where I am not welcome.

I am sorry if this was a problem for you.

I resent being called "one of those who...."

No one likes to be judged. I did what I needed to do when my child was young, just as I am sure you did. I worked full time and did not have time to deal with a house full of smelly diapers.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The title of this thread is "How many use and appreciate...."

At least that's how I understand it when I read it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The title of this thread is "How many use and appreciate...."

At least that's how I understand it when I read it.
:lol: You get a gold star :clap

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
OOoooohhhh. OK. I get it now. Its actually very cleaver. I just might make some. I only have the "monthly issue" every three months. And when I do, it last for three weeks! I need a new sewing machine, but Im pretty good at hand sewing too. Something to think about. :)
Is that odd cycle because of Birth control?

I'd be worried about that.