How many use and appreciate.......

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Really?

As I recall though the the body lines the uterus with blood to prepare for potential implantation of a fertilized egg....then sloughs it off at the end of the month. So wouldn't the same volume be there?

Not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand.

Also, my period used to last 5 -6 days on my old standard American diet. Now it is about 3 days :woot but the second 12 hours is an hourly trip to the restroom to change a 'heavy' tampon. I can't even imaging wearing a cloth pad :ep

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is just my experience, Dace, I never had the flow you describe, even at my worst. But my suspicion is that the hormone-like plasticizers in the purchased products work very fast at signalling the body in this way.

Tests were done with essential oils, and they are absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin within minutes. How many of us look at the calendar and grab a pad a day or so before we even need it?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hmmm.....something to think about for sure.
Has anyone else had success with homemade pads with a heavier flow like mine?

Ah crud....are y'all really gonna start me on some other life changing project?

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I, so, have to learn how to make these. BubblingBrook.....I sent you a PM :) This would save us so much $$$. We spend close to $20 to $25 a month on disposibles.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can make a very simple version with a heavy cotton or bamboo washcloth....fold it up, then add the waterproof liner to the layer that ends up on the bottom. You will have three or four layers of towelling on top of that. You can use safety pins at first, so you don't do too much work before you see if it works for you. Don't stitch the layers together, because it will never dry when you wash it since it will be very thick.

You might even be able to experiment by using a storebought thinner pad as the waterproof layer, pinning the towelling on top.

This will make a very thick pad, though, and will only be for your heaviest days, and will probably be inconvenient at first....you will probably want to stay near home for that day.

Just an idea, that won't cost you much to experiment with. If it works at all for you, then you can invest in the supplies for a more convenient way of doing this.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I formerly had a very heavy flow, at least for the first day or two. Clots too.

Its lightened up seriously. Actually, the light days have gotten a bit heavier, but the heavy days have gotten a LOT lighter. I think it evened out too, so instead of one heavy day & 4-5 light ones, I have 3-4 medium days.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You guys are convincing me in spite of myself. Hmmm, not the first time that's happened on here. Dace, imagine a flow like yours compacted into three or four days. I actually use overnight incontinence pads. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about doing this though. I might experiment a little and see.

The tp ascpect doesn't bother me in the least. I even got brave and brought it up with my husband. He vetoed the idea. It grossed him out. I don't think he realizes exactly how much of the kids' underwear goes into the wash, um, a bit damp. I'm not worried about it though. In about six months he'll come up to me with this "great idea" he came up with. ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I will post a tutorial and links as to how I make mine.
Also tips on making a style for onvernight pads that will keep you tidy.
Be back later.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For years now, all I do is fold up some washcloths and wear tight underwear. I don't leak, they don't slip. I put them in a container dry until wash day-dry. On wash day, I rinse out with cold water and into the laundry they go. I tried sweing some, but then I figured why bother when folding washcloths work. I will double up if i need to be out for any great length of time. Before reusables, I used to get very irritated from disposables. No problems now anymore.

(disclaimer: I have separate washcloth just for me)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
These are the best tutorials I have found, and its where I got pattern ideas from
http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/008
http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/009
http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/0010
http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/0011
The wonderful thing about making your own, is that you can custom fit them to you.

This pic shows a pad shape that works well for overnights.
1635_pads_001.jpg