How much do you pay for butter?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I wish i had some to freeze, but alas I butter my bacon for added flavor.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I pay $1.98 a pound at Winco. They carry five brands, salted and unsalted in each brand, and rotate which brand gets the low price. When it gets to the one I like, I stock up. I like to keep 20# in the freezer, but am down to 12 right now.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I pay $1.98 a pound at Winco. They carry five brands, salted and unsalted in each brand, and rotate which brand gets the low price. When it gets to the one I like, I stock up. I like to keep 20# in the freezer, but am down to 12 right now.
Same price here and do buy both but seldom use a pound a month, you must be eating a lot of bacon.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Funny ! :lol:

Actually, I went to a Bacon Convention here in town not too long ago. Did some of the catering, made 11 dishes using bacon, including bacon ice cream. Won't tell you how many pounds I used overall !

As far as the butter, I have a cookie ministry and I can't see putting solid shortening into people's systems, and margarine has so much water in it that it ruins the cookies. So yeah, I use a ton of butter.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
including bacon ice cream.
Please pray tell the ice cream ingredients. The word bacon is Pavlovian to me.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Here's the simple way:

Buy a bucket of that cheap vanilla ice cream, some light brown sugar, and your favorite bacon. Also, maple flavoring.

Lay the strips of bacon on a cookie sheet (you will do well to use silicone sheets or parchment). Sprinkle each strip of bacon with about a teaspoon of brown sugar and stick the pan in the oven at about 350-375 until all the fat on the bacon has gone crisp. Cool and crumble. There may be caramelized brown sugar bits, which you will want to use as well.

Soften the ice cream slightly and stir in about a teaspoon of maple flavoring, or more to taste, and then the candied bacon.

Let it freeze back to a good firm texture, and that's it. I serve it on a toasted waffle with whipped cream and more pieces of bacon on top. If there is any left after I get the munchies.

I have served it to perhaps 200 people over the past year, and only one person didn't care for it. I think they were mental or something.

xpc said:
Ldychef2k said:
including bacon ice cream.
Please pray tell the ice cream ingredients. The word bacon is Pavlovian to me.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I saved the recipe and will try next time i go to the store for some hog parts, never saw such a thing as maple flavoring though - will syrup work?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Makes it too sweet and it doesn't freeze right. Mapeline is in the extract section, with the vanilla and the almond. If you can't find it, try the syrup but not the pure stuff - it's not heavily flavored. Might try sugar free to help with the freezing part. Not sure.

But trust me, it's worth looking for the maple. I guess you might try buying maple nut ice cream, if you can find that.

xpc said:
I saved the recipe and will try next time i go to the store for some hog parts, never saw such a thing as maple flavoring though - will syrup work?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One day I'll have a gentle ol' Jersey cow and all the butter, milk, and cream both I, my hubby, and my animals can handle! LOL

We could use a cow now, Adam's family goes through milk like it's a sole source of food and drink. A gallon will be gone in a matter of 2-3 days if we're lucky.

His mother is one of those people who struggle with "home raised" products, especially meat, so I think even if we had a cow and all the dairy we could possibly handle(and then some) she'd still purchase storebought for her own use. :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bacon flavored icecream???!! :th We had a garlic festival up here and they served garlic flavored ice cream. I didn't go, but I really wanted to see what the fuss was over garlic flavored ice cream! :p That bacon flavored ice cream actually sounds really good! :drool

Yeah Wolf Kim, I too would love a gentle jersey or a sweet guernsey to milk and make butter etc. I just don't have the property to house a cow. Dolly the sheep will have to do. Until she gets knocked up I am stuck paying a ton for organic butter and raw milk. :/